none
assembly language and small basic RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all Basic lovers. This is my first post to these forums and I would like to say that Small Basic looks to be a great language! I tried Visual Basic .net and Python and found these languages not to my liking. My first programming experiences have been with Atari and Commodore Basic. Typing in games from magazines helped me learn these languages. On that note I was fascinated by the fact that assembly language could be tied in to these Basic's by using a USR or SYS function call. Could something like this be implemented for Small Basic?

Anyway I am glad that SmallBasic exists. I am currently using the documentation with Small Basic to learn the language and I'm having the time of my life. Programming is fun again! Good luck with the development of Small Basic. When I learn the language enough I plan to upload games I've created. I'm a role-playing fan!

Monday, March 30, 2009 1:34 AM

Answers

• Hello ilikebasic,

It's great to see you're having fun with Small Basic and please feel free to post questions and interesting programs you have to this forum.

As far as Assembly language integration, nothing along those lines are planned.  Opening up such integration, we believe, will make the language harder to learn and master, plus making it harder to statically analyze for the safety of the program - especially when distributing such programs to kids.

Thanks.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hello ilikebasic,

It's great to see you're having fun with Small Basic and please feel free to post questions and interesting programs you have to this forum.

As far as Assembly language integration, nothing along those lines are planned.  Opening up such integration, we believe, will make the language harder to learn and master, plus making it harder to statically analyze for the safety of the program - especially when distributing such programs to kids.

Thanks.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:00 PM
  • To Vijaye Raji:

Thanks to your quick response. I just wanted to clarify my reasons for implementing assembly language into Small Basic.
    I understand and appreciate the need for security and would certainly be willing to supply the assembly source code that I use. I am interested in applying assembly so as to add smooth animations for games. Also because this forum is open and designed for beginners (of which I am one regarding assembly) it would provide a great learning experience for me and others in learning assembly language, and possibly together put together a game that had the input of many.

Thanks again.

ilikebasic

Friday, April 3, 2009 4:17 PM