none
Visual Studio 2010 hangs when clicking on button to add dataset in report RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS2010 Pro installed on Win 7 with 5gb RAM and Dual Xeon CPU.  I have been attempting to add a report to an existing web site I buils with VS2008 using .net 2.0.  I have no reports existing in the site.

I have seen many posts about various error messages.  Somehow I seem to not be getting them anymore.

So I add a reportviewer control to a page and attempt to add a new report.  The wizard opens.  I click to add a dataset and it hangs.  After 11 minutes, it returns asking me if I wasnt to use an existing or new dataset,  Click on new, it uses the existing web.config connection, select a stored procedure, and it hangs again.  It appears to have created the dataset but it is not displayed in the dialog box anywhere.

It seems obvious, based on posts I have read the Crystal Reports is not a currently viable option.  Not that I want to go there again.  I swore of CR at version 10.

I spent 2 years convincing a client they needed to get away from a shared hosting environment in order to be able to utilize reports.  I just set them up on a new HyperV box with their own SQL Server to accomplish this.  And now, it seems there is no viable solution to create and integrates reporting into their website.

Any idea when something will be done about this?

I have given up.

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:40 PM

All replies

• Stevishere,

I just performed a quick test at my side, however everything worked fine. I think that this is an environment specific issue, probably it was caused by some shared file/component was blocked for access. I recommend that you use Process Monitor to monitor your Visual Studio process. Once you reproduce this issue, stop the trace and check if there was any file access issue. You can download the process monitor here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Monday, September 6, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please compress and send the file to this email address sqltnsp_at_microsoft_dot_com? The piece of pure text information is quite hard for analysis. Please use the following email format so that I can quickly identify your email and take action:

Subject: <To Charles> thread title

Body: Thread link and your description.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Stevishere,

I have checked your process monitor file but unfortunately could not find helpful information to help resolve this issue. I think that this issue was most probably caused by some tricky issue under your virtual machine. As a possible workaround, I recommend that you replace it with a new virtual machine.

If you would like to track down the root cause of this issue, a higher level paid support is required. Please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:09 PM
  • I am not having an issue with my HyperV machine.  It is a remote hosted machine.

I am having this issue on my Dell Precision 690 with a Xeon 5310 chip, 5GB RAM running Win7 OS.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:27 PM