Standalone GUI Designer Tool? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A few months ago I went to a Microsoft presentation on Visual Studio 2008.  One of the new tools mentioned was a GUI designer that completely separates programming from the GUI -- almost like a drawing program.  It generates a form definition file that can then be plugged in to a coding environment.

Now I don't remember the name of the tool.  Can anyone help me out with the name?

Regards,

Aaron Stewart

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Aaron Stewart,

It seems you are talking about Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It is the graphical subsystem and is directly related to XAML. It provides a consistent programming model for building applications and provides a clear separation between the UI and the business logic. A WPF application can be deployed on the desktop or hosted in a web browser. It also enables rich control, design, and development of the visual aspects of Windows programs. It aims to unify a host of application services: user interface, 2D and 3D drawing, fixed and adaptive documents, advanced typography, vector graphics, raster graphics, animation, data binding, audio and video. You can use Visual Studio 2008 and Expression Blend to design a WPF application.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Windows Forms General FAQs
    Windows Forms Data Controls and Databinding FAQs

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:19 AM