[Coded UI]: fail to catch the control for 64bit winform app RRS feed

• Question

• Repro step:

Create a new winforms app and build with 64bit.

Use Coded UI, try to catch the winform window as well as botton inside.

Expected: able to catch.

Actual:catch failed.

Env: Win7 64 bit with dev10 Ent

Notes: when I try build the winforms app with 32 bit, it's able to catch by coded UI.

It will not repro in another machine with similar env. I'm wondering if any env affect that.

I try to un/reinstall the VS, but not work. Reimage the OS is not acceptable for me. 

I saw Coded UI forum closed. So just port here.

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:53 AM move to a more appropriate forum
    Monday, May 20, 2013 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Glad to receive your reply.

I can’t repro this issue when I build a windows forms app with 64bit on my side.

Maybe the issue is related to your test environment.

You could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

And I suggest that you can try to uninstall VS2010 completely and then install VS2012 on the failed machine. After that, you use create coded UI to catch 64bit windows forms to check the result.

If you still can get this issue, I’m afraid that I don’t have other good idea about this issue, but you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue. And I will help you to vote it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Van Yu Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your kindly help.

In fact I've already try such as devenv /resetsettings. Also un/reinstall VS2010 not work for it. 

I take a look for the Coded UI issue in forums before. Some of it also repro in my machine. EG: Access is denied when try to record the 64bit winforms app. So I wondering what will cause the issue. 

I will turn to connect.microsoft.com,  for more info.

Thanks Amanda for your work. Best wish for my ex-co-worker~~

Van Yu
    • Marked as answer by Van Yu Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Just to make the issue clearly:

1. Do you use VS2010?
    2. Do you mean that you can’t record actions using Coded UI Test Builder on the windows forms app after you build the app with 64 bit? Or when you run the coded UI test, it failed to find the control?
    3. If there are any errors, please provide us.
    4. What’s the environment on another machine which will not repro this issue?

If the issue can’t repro on another machine with similar issue, please make sure that you have done the same steps completely on two machines for example creating app, build app, create test project, record actions, build test project, run test etc.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

1. I use VS2010 Ent SP1 with FP2;

2. I mean built the app with 64bit/32bit in my machine first. Then create a test project, use coded UI test builder catch the app. 32-bit works, 64-bit app fail to catch. while turn to the other machine, both of them can be catch by coded UI.

3. It only appear fail to catch the window/contorl for the 64bit app. No errors;

4. Another machine with almost the same environment: win7 64bit, VS2010 Ent;

For these two machines,  the only step to repro the issue is just: 

Create a test project --> Add a coded UI test --> use Coded UI test builder to catch the app.

PS: According to some old tips in Forum, I run both VS and app as admin,  resetsetting for VS. But still not work.

Look forward to your reply. Thanks.

Van Yu

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Hello,

Glad to receive your reply.

I can’t repro this issue when I build a windows forms app with 64bit on my side.

Maybe the issue is related to your test environment.

You could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.

Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.

Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.

And I suggest that you can try to uninstall VS2010 completely and then install VS2012 on the failed machine. After that, you use create coded UI to catch 64bit windows forms to check the result.

If you still can get this issue, I’m afraid that I don’t have other good idea about this issue, but you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue. And I will help you to vote it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Van Yu Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your kindly help.

In fact I've already try such as devenv /resetsettings. Also un/reinstall VS2010 not work for it. 

I take a look for the Coded UI issue in forums before. Some of it also repro in my machine. EG: Access is denied when try to record the 64bit winforms app. So I wondering what will cause the issue. 

I will turn to connect.microsoft.com,  for more info.

Thanks Amanda for your work. Best wish for my ex-co-worker~~

Van Yu
    • Marked as answer by Van Yu Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:34 AM