Cannot import Wordpress website from backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a backup saved of my Wordpress website. I would love nothing more than to no longer deal with traditional hosting. I created a Wordpress virtual machine and set it up just how I like it. When I try to import the backup file I get a long list of errors telling me each file did not upload. What can I do about that? Please save me from Hostgator
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:29 AM

All replies

• Thanks for posting the question!

Just to provide you a good understanding on options for hosting website on Azure. Azure offers several ways to host websites: Azure App Service WebApps (PAAS solution), Virtual Machines (IAAS), Service Fabric and Cloud Services. If my understanding is correct, you have hosted your Website on an Azure VM and not on Azure App Service WebApps. So for hosting or importing your website/app on an Azure VM (IAAS solution), you would typically install, design and configure the app in a similar way as you would onprem. Kindly confirm on the scenario/requirement.

How exactly are you attempting to import from the backup? What is the exact error message you receive?  You may take a look at these discussion threads which addresses a similar issue.

WordPress Import shows an error Failed-to-import-media

I want to ensure that you get the right support from the right audience: If the issue is related to WordPress configuration – you may have to contact the WordPress support In case the issue is related to an Azure VM setup/configuration specifically, we may have to move this thread to the Azure Virtual Machine forum for receiving insights from the targetted experts.

Kindly let us know, I would be more than happy to assist you further.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third-party website. I’m just sharing these as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:27 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you very much for your help. I have a website currently hosted on a Hostgator Cloud Business account. I downloaded a copy of my website (a complete back up). I created a virtual machine using Bitnami Wordpress. When I attempt to import the backup I get a long list of error messages informing me of a failure. It lists every single file in the backup and says "failed to upload". If there is another configuration for hosting a website I'm open to trying it.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for sharing additional details.Sorry for the long post! Trying to cover all the important points which would be beneficial to you.
    For the issue on backup restore (/import) operation with HostGator, you may want to reach out HostGator support to rectify the problem, who can provide specialized assistance on that issue. The following HostGator support articles may help you get started with the import issue:
    How Do I Restore a Backup?
    advanced-troubleshooting

Once the site file issue is rectified. Based on your requirement, you can leverage the Migration Assistant which assess any app with an endpoint scan. Download the Migration Assistant and start your .NET and PHP app migration to Azure App Service.

The Migration assistant tool - The App Service Migration Assistant is designed to simplify your journey to the cloud migrate (This tool only supports .Net and PHP as of today) from on-premises to the cloud. Use the tool to run readiness checks and general assessment of your app’s configuration settings, then migrate your app or site to Azure App Service via the tool.

Azure App Service – More details:
    Migration checklist -Migration checklist when moving to Azure App Service

I suggest you take a look at the criteria and flow chart, weigh the platform strengths based on your organizational requirement and then chose the best platform. Treat this flowchart as a starting point. Every application has unique requirements, so use the recommendation as a starting point. Then perform a more detailed evaluation:

Criteria for choosing an Azure compute service Decision tree for Azure compute services

Azure App Service (PAAS solution) is the best choice for most web apps. Deployment and management are integrated into the platform, sites can scale quickly to handle high traffic loads, and the built-in load balancing and traffic manager provide high availability. WebApp is a fully managed compute platform that is optimized for hosting websites and web applications.

Azure VMs (IAAS solution) – As mentioned, if you wish to host your website/app on an Azure VM (IAAS solution), you would typically install, design and configure the app in a similar way as you would onprem. If you have an existing application that would require substantial modifications to run in App Service you could choose Virtual Machines in order to simplify migrating to the cloud. 

Note: This response contains a reference to a third-party website. I’m just sharing these as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Friday, October 25, 2019 7:40 PM
    Owner
  • Hi cuzzaintit,

Can you make sure you are installing the same version of wordpress which is running on Hostgator.

Version mismatch may be the reason for the errors while restoring.

Also past first few lines of error here.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:24 AM
    Owner