none
Access project vs .Net RRS feed

• Question

• we have a decent size access project (linked to sql server) with about 100 users. We are expecting our user base to increase by 500, so we want our product to be architecturally strong and flexible and make it a commerical product.At this point we have the choice of rewriting the entire application in vb.net or leave it in access and add more features to it, what is the way to go

ACCESS or VB.NET.

Forgive me if this is a wrong place to post and please direct me to the right place.

Thanks in advance.

------

a Techie!

it's all about 0's and 1's
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:04 PM

Answers

• hi

without any doubt, moving your application to .net would be the best choice.

Personally i consider access ok for very small applications, but the userbase and the commercial component of you app

validate the effort to go to fullblown .net

VB.net is definately an option, but did you consider moving to c#?

The reason i ask this is simple: a lot of vb programmers, when moving to vb.net keep on writing vb style programs,

negating the whole OOP benefits of .net. When switching to c# the OOP features are somewhat more apparent,

as the language is more OOP oriented.

Hope this helps you out

Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:39 PM

All replies

• hi

without any doubt, moving your application to .net would be the best choice.

Personally i consider access ok for very small applications, but the userbase and the commercial component of you app

validate the effort to go to fullblown .net

VB.net is definately an option, but did you consider moving to c#?

The reason i ask this is simple: a lot of vb programmers, when moving to vb.net keep on writing vb style programs,

negating the whole OOP benefits of .net. When switching to c# the OOP features are somewhat more apparent,

as the language is more OOP oriented.

Hope this helps you out

Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:39 PM
  • First of all thank you for sharing your opinion and it helps. Most of our applications are written in vb.net making use of oops, thats the only reason why we would want to go with vb.net.Do you have any idea on the effort required to develop the same application in access and .net(let's say student-tutor system).

Also are we compromising anything in our application by choosing access as our platform?(scalability,flexibility...)

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Hi

If you continue in access you are puting some limits on  your application yes

- everyone needs access (licence fees)

- security (who can modify the access application)

- number of concurrent users supportable

- if the application changes, a new version of the access db needs to be distributed

- access is good for very simple applications, but as complexity increases it will be difficult to maintain it..

- etc

with .net you can choose either web forms (asp.net site) of windows forms,

each having it's advantages and disadvantages..

The effort of migrating the application really depends on how large and complicated

the application is already.

It comes down to completely rewriting it in .net

Hope this helps you out

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Without a doubt you need to move to .Net with a SQL server backend.  Access is not that scalable.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Hi atechi,

Our company using Access project link with Sql 2000 server. with about 10 users.

We enter data bound form to enter data?

Do you think it can support more than 10-20 users? Or upgrade to unbound data form to enter data?

Thanks

Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:08 PM
  • I did a project for a fortune 100 client. They were using MS Access from early 90's. But in order to get more security, reliability, scalability and robustness they migrated to .Net from MS Acess. Their user base was 200. We used N-Tier architecture, ASP.NET, Remoting for tier communication and Sql Server 2000 as back end. I am telling you this coz this will give you idea about and courage to use SQL server with .Net, as many of others also recommended you to go for it.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Hi

Here are my 2 cents on this

1) When the move happens from 100 to 500 users what will be the number of concurrent users, if it is well under what MS Access supports maybe you should not move.

2) What is the role of MS Access, is it just a data store with some reporting features or do you have complex macros which need to be replaced with SP's

3) I will assume that a big part of Access was to create reports

4) Another thing you may want to conceder is that in past MS access alone did all the job for you, do you think SQL Server 2005 with reporting services will work for you now it will have the benefit that you can write CLR SP's (in VB.net) and get the job done.

5) Finally I personally believe that C# is a much cleaner language.

6) I would advise you to do one vertical in MS Access, SQL Server 2005 and VB.Net and see what makes sense for you...

Regards

Gaurav

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Are you guys using

Unbound Form or Bound Form to enter data into ADP?

What kind of application are you using?

We are currently using ADP with SQL 2000 with 10 concurrent user but doesn't seem to handle all data.

Thanks

Sunday, June 24, 2007 11:52 PM