Cannot create web projects in visual studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I got this following error when i create a new web project in visual studio community edition Update 1.

Error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ApplicationInsights.Interfaces, Version=14.0.0.0,.."

How to fix it?

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:57 AM

Answers

• Uninstalling and then reinstalling the Application Insight tools for VS from the link above fixed this problem for me
    Monday, February 22, 2016 9:31 PM

All replies

• I am getting this same issue now with Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise so don't feel to bad.

As I don't create new projects everyday I cannot pin point when this started. If anyone out there knows where I can grab an installer for this that won't break other projects I'd sure appreciate it.

- Hal Diggs

Monday, February 1, 2016 8:09 PM
  • What version of VS is this on?

This implies that the Application Insights tools for VS were not installed on this machine, even though they are part of the VS setup.  then ASP.NET/others try to reference our assembly, and fail.

If you are on VS2015, Update1, you can try to install this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50730

to manually install the AI tools which appear to be missing?

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Uninstalling and then reinstalling the Application Insight tools for VS from the link above fixed this problem for me
    Monday, February 22, 2016 9:31 PM
  • Thanks John. The link was *very* helpful - especially the "Install Instructions" on the page you provided:

This is installed via Visual Studio 2015 tools->Extensions and Update dialog. Customers should not need to download and install this directly

The Extensions and Update Dialog box enabled me to update VisualStudio Community Update2 to get around the Kagaw3000 asked above.

Sunday, May 22, 2016 1:52 PM
  • I am having exactly same issue. The problem is: I don't need application insight tools, but Microsoft is pushing its Azure-relates stuff hard. Why on Earth MUST I have application insight tools installed to create a simple web app? This is exactly why people hate Microsoft. Makes me wish switching to something like Node.js or similar ... 
    • Edited by dmitrynvk Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Repair in Programs and Features help me to fix this error
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:52 PM