ToolWindow without frame border RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm currently developing a Visual Studio Package, which has a ToolWindow.  I would like to have the toolWindow without a frame border, something like the Intellisense window.  just a floating window.

How do I achieve my goal?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:41 PM

Answers

• You can't with a tool window, a tool window, by definition, is a dockable thing, which necessitates a border (for dragging and docking). The Intellisense completion list is NOT a toolwindow, it is simply a non-modal popup window, you can make such a window yourself, just like you make any window in your UI framework of choice.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm currently developing a Visual Studio Package, which has a ToolWindow.  I would like to open the toolwindow, reletively to the caret/text marker sign.

How do I get the current pixel position of the caret to achieve my goal?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:39 PM
  • You can't with a tool window, a tool window, by definition, is a dockable thing, which necessitates a border (for dragging and docking). The Intellisense completion list is NOT a toolwindow, it is simply a non-modal popup window, you can make such a window yourself, just like you make any window in your UI framework of choice.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:49 PM
  • This is likely related to your other question, and this isn't the use case for tool windows.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Even if I use regular window - I still need to get the pixel position of the caret. How do I do that??

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:40 AM
  • Hi Desegel,

Please review it:Get cursor or text position in pixels for input element

There shares 2 ways and relevant code for your requirement .Please have a check!

Hope it can help you!

Sophia Gou
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:42 AM
  • hI desegel,

Here shares steps of how to get the caret position and some valuable code explanation,

Please review here: Get Caret position Inside any Application

Hope it can help you!

Sophia Gou
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hi desegel,

I agree with Ryan mentioned above. Did this help? If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks!

Sophia Gou

Friday, July 26, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,

But the code doesn't work as expected with Visual Studio, although in the article it states otherwise.  Even when I run this example application, it works on every window except visual studio...

The problem is that GetGuiThreadInfo does not return a caret handle.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:03 PM