none
Downloaded license insufficient

Question

• I am unable to get past the popup that says " trial period expired..... Downloaded license insufficient". even with valid license I am unable to enter the license manually. any help will be appreciated...
    Friday, June 03, 2016 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi BRPC,

It seems that this issue is related to the VS license.

>> "trial period expired..... Downloaded license insufficient."

Which VS version did you use, VS2013 or VS2015? Is it the trial version?

Please sign in your VS using the Microsoft account if it is the VS2013 or VS2015 version, check it again. I remember that we could use certain VS trial versions for about 90 days if we sign in it.

Like this thread here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0e6f2f53-a82c-41fc-948d-f783ace9b1d3/downloaded-license-is-insufficient?forum=vssetup

If you download the trial version from the official site, maybe you would buy the license after it was expired.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 06, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hello Jack,

Thank you for the response. I am using VS Professional 2013 with a valid license key since past 2 years with no issues. And no, its is not a trail version.

Even after clicking "Check for updated license" I cannot get it working. I have also validated my MSDN account status, which is Active and Expires on  6/1/2031. I had chat with MSDN support and they couldn't figure out the issue and suggested to re-install VS2013 (I'm trying to avoid this). I also tried the command "devenv /resetuserdata" to reset all user data, but no luck.

PS: I don't even see an option to enter the license key manually. Instead, I see a link to buy VS. (Wish I could post a snapshot but its not allowing me until account is verified)

• Edited by BRPC Monday, June 06, 2016 12:19 PM
    Monday, June 06, 2016 12:12 PM
  • Hi BRPC,

(1)To make sure that it is not the license server issue, maybe you could try to sign in it with a few times.

(2) Do you install the latest update 5 for your VS 2013? If not, please also install it.

(3) Where did you buy the license, from the MSDN subscription or others? Maybe you could discuss it with the seller of the license directly like the MSDN subscription site, at least, we could know that whether it is the license issue.

(4) Not a good solution, I'm thinking about that whether you could clean up the license from the registry and then input it again if you take a backup for the license.

>>I don't even see an option to enter the license key manually.

If you click Help->Register product, what result did you get? As far as I know, we could input the product key there if it is period.

>> I had chat with MSDN support and they couldn't figure out the issue and suggested to re-install VS2013 (I'm trying to avoid this). I also tried the command "devenv /resetuserdata" to reset all user data, but no luck.

As you has discuss this issue with the support experts, if above steps still no help for you, maybe you could re-install the VS IDE as the support team experts' suggestion, at least, we could know that whether it is the setup issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thank you for your response.

1. tried. No luck
    2. yes, I have update 5 installed
    3. MSDN subscriptions. Spoke to them, they suggested I post my issue here or reinstall VS2013
    4. how to clean up license from registry? I can give it a try...
    5. tried to Help> register Product. but it bring me back to same popup. Only options I have is to sign-in to MS account, download updated license, buy lisence or exit VS
    Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Hi BRPC,

>>MSDN subscriptions. Spoke to them, they suggested I post my issue here or reinstall VS2013.

If so, whether the MSDN subscriptions team experts could help you identify that whether the same product key works well in they side, if it works well, at least, we could know that the license has no issue.

>>how to clean up license from registry? I can give it a try...

As far as I know, we could use Process Monitor to find the license in the registry.

Maybe you could refer to the following threads which shared some information about how to clean up the license in VS.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8dc2b041-7849-467c-9daa-d60b63a57b6a/remove-vs-2013-product-key-from-registry?forum=vssetup

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12465361/how-to-change-visual-studio-2012-license-key/14810695#14810695

Clean up the registry may not a good solution, please take a back up:)

If still no help, maybe re-install or repair your VS would be a better choice now.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, June 09, 2016 3:15 AM