Schema Comparison Options: What is Users Object Types? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using VSTS 2008 Database Edition GDR Version 9.1.40413.00 (GDR2). SQL Server 2000 DB Project.

In the Schema Comparison Options, "Object Types" tab. What is the "Users" option?

I though it mean "the users which have access or any privileges in the DB". For the Schema comparison I was reviewing, I didn't need this details so I checked "Users" (because the screen said check the objects to be ignore): See screenshot: http://tinypic.com/r/2myoncx/6

When this option is checked, the comparison results always show no differences. Even between two Databases which are totally different.

Question: What does the "Users" option represent in Object Types to ignore?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• The ignore options not only ignore the top level object type, but also any hierachical and composing object types in the schema.

In Sql Server 2000, since Users are the owners of objects, rather than schemas like in Sql 2005, if you ignore Users, none of the other objects that are children of a User will end up being compared.  Same would happen on Sql 2005 if you chose to ignore Schemas.

Andrew
    • Proposed as answer by Nantox Monday, December 21, 2009 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Edwer FangModerator Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:22 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:42 PM