Opacity Masks in Expression Design 3? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching the forums but no luck so far.  I want to make an opacity mask to make a web 2.0 type of reflection.  You can do this in Adobe Illustrator and I saw that Blend has masks too.  Is there a good way to do fake an opacity mask in Design or just get the same type of effect.  
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• No problem, it can be done in Expression Design; take a look at Will Buffington's link:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/xdesignsupport/archive/2007/10/30/reflecting-on-reflections.aspx

Regards,

~Fred

Will's site seems to have problems with displaying pictures.  Please see entry Friday, February 26, 2010 10:24 PM- Quick tutorial
    • Marked as answer by ProtheonX Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:52 AM
    • Edited by Fred C_ Monday, April 19, 2010 12:38 AM pics missing
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Fred.  One problem I am having is that the pictures on his blog won't show up in Chrome or IE8.  From what I can tell from the text he has the reflection portion just have a low opacity and hang off the edge.  This just cuts off the reflection instead of fading it out.

Will's way is a good alternative though if there is no way to have it fade.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:52 AM
  • Safari does not show the images either.

It can be done in ED2 though:

Friday, February 19, 2010 8:41 PM
  • The images seem to be missing in this tutorial. Shame cause I'd love to follow it (obviously I can do that without the images but it does make it easier when you're a newb!)

Andy

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:53 PM
  • ProtheonX,
    Try this
    ~Fred
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Monday, March 1, 2010 3:04 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:24 PM