none
Creating EDR Model in Visual Studio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft DreamSpark Support Team Firstly,
    I would like to thank you for helping me to complete my application into the
    installation of Visual Studio 2013.

My reason for coming here is quite simple.
    I would like to know, is it possible to create an Entity Relationship Diagram
    (EDR) The reason I ask, is because as you may know, I am studying an HNC/D
    Coarse leading to,

I hope my first degree and I am in my first two modules. My
    concern is how I can relate databases, using your application.

I have MySQL
    also installed and I am wondering if the information can be shared between both
    applications. I do hope you can direct me, and I will be looking forward to
    hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

J T Valerie 

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Monday, December 9, 2013 9:28 AM better forum
    Saturday, December 7, 2013 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

>>is it possible to create an Entity Relationship Diagram (EDR)

If I understand correctly, you want to design the relationship of database tables firstly and then generate the database.

If it is, then you could use the model first in entity framework.

Model First allows usto create a new model using the Entity Framework Designer and then generate a database schema from the model. The model is stored in an EDMX file (.edmx extension) and can be viewed and edited in the Entity Framework Designer. The classes that we interact with in the application are automatically generated from the EDMX file.

For details, please have a look at the link below, it has the step-by-step walkthrough.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/data/jj205424

If I misunderstand, please let me know.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have moved this thread to ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities forum for better forum.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 9, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Hello,

>>is it possible to create an Entity Relationship Diagram (EDR)

If I understand correctly, you want to design the relationship of database tables firstly and then generate the database.

If it is, then you could use the model first in entity framework.

Model First allows usto create a new model using the Entity Framework Designer and then generate a database schema from the model. The model is stored in an EDMX file (.edmx extension) and can be viewed and edited in the Entity Framework Designer. The classes that we interact with in the application are automatically generated from the EDMX file.

For details, please have a look at the link below, it has the step-by-step walkthrough.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/data/jj205424

If I misunderstand, please let me know.

Regards.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Yes Fred Bao, You got it correct, and I thank you for this spot on observation.

I am trying my best to hit the ground running, but I am at a great disadvantage where I cannot get any hands on practice and help, everything is in a virtual world (online) and trying to grab any help I can along this great and wide road am attempting to travel. :) 

• Edited by JTValerie Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Dear Fred Bao - MSFT

I have just had the chance to take a quick peek at the directions you have sent me and I believe the link you have sent me, should truly be the whole lesson I have wished to learn.

The link looks absolutely wonderful.

Thank you

I will let you know asap as I get my head around the subject.

Oh before I go to return, my I ask.

I have both MSVS 2012 and 2013, your directions would obviously apply to both of these applications.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you

Yours sincerely

J T Valerie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:52 AM
  • That step-by-step walkthrough is for VS 2010/2012. It does not work in VS 2013 - the available options are not the same. Are there instructions for model-first in VS 2013?
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:55 PM