none
Diff tools

Question

• I am not exactly sure which forum this question would go under.

Why would I want to use kdiff3 over the diff tool provided with Visual Studio 2015? I could not find a good/recent comparison of features between the two. I have used the Microsoft diff tool before at another company and I like the integration, but at my current company we use kdiff3.

Does MS provide an updated product comparison their diff tool (file compare tool)?

Monday, January 16, 2017 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi kjfle,

It seems that you want to integrate the kdiff3 tool with VS 2015, I help you move this case to Visual Studio General forum for dedicated help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Actually I want to know if there is a comparison between the 2 that is more up to date. I see a few comparisons between kdiff3 and 2010 but not 2015.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Hi kjfle,

I don't find a document that compare kdiff3 and Diff tool in Visual Studio 2015 directly.

Following is the features that kdiff3 has but I don't find in Visual Studio Diff tool. If anything that you know, please feel free to share here, which is benefit to other communities.

• Char-By-Char Diff-Viewer
    • See White-Space Differences At One Glance
    • Triple-Diff

More features about kdiff3, you could refer to following site, where lists all kdiff3 features.

http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/doc/features.html

For Visual Studio Diff tool, I only could use it to compare two files and merge two files. If you know more function for Visual Studio Diff tool, please feel free to let me know.

So I think the kdiff3 has more functions than Visual Studio Diff tool.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:31 AM