none
WCF service randomly takes a long time to start RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MVC web app that calls a WCF web service.  The app and the service are on different machines, each has its own log file, and they are on the same network.  Sometimes it takes 40 seconds to well over a minute between the time the call to the service is made and the first log entry that the service makes (it writes to the log as one of the first things).  However, sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 seconds.

I enabled tracing to see if it was doing anything much before it writes to the log file, and the first trace entry is just before the first log entry, leading me to believe that the service doesn't 'wake up' until well after the call is made. 

Additionally, the service gets called usually between 15 and 25 times a day.

It would be fine if it only took a long time the first time it was called, but it happens mutiple times a day and seems to be random.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and if there is a fix, or different ways to troubleshoot it? 

Friday, June 14, 2013 12:52 PM

Answers

• On 6/14/2013 8:52 AM, BeatTheHouse wrote:

I have an MVC web app that calls a WCF web service.  The app and the service are on different machines, each has its own log file, and they are on the same network.  Sometimes it takes 40 seconds to well over a minute between the time the call to the service is made and the first log entry that the service makes (it writes to the log as one of the first things).  However, sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 seconds.

I enabled tracing to see if it was doing anything much before it writes to the log file, and the first trace entry is just before the first log entry, leading me to believe that the service doesn't 'wake up' until well after the call is made.

Additionally, the service gets called usually between 15 and 25 times a day.

It would be fine if it only took a long time the first time it was called, but it happens mutiple times a day and seems to be random.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and if there is a fix, or different ways to troubleshoot it?

Maybe IIS is being reset,  or the ASP.NET worker process is being recycled knocking everything out of static memory.

Friday, June 14, 2013 1:38 PM