Prevent my OS X app from asking users to install “XCode Command Line Developer Tools" RRS feed

• Question

• User33830 posted

My App sometimes asks for "The "lldb" command requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install the tools now ? "

Is there a way to prevent this ? I suspect the app has crashed somewhere and this is the response.

Please note my app is in "Release/Beta" config with debugging set to None on all Librarys.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:26 AM

Answers

• User39 posted

There's no way to do this currently.

It's a good idea though, so I filed an enhancement request: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23482

Feel free to CC yourself to get updated when it's fixed.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:58 AM
  • User39 posted

This does not prevent Apple's crash reporter from getting invoked (it's in addition to, not instead of).

AFAICT it still happens with apps distributed through the AppStore.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:46 AM

All replies

• User39 posted

There's no way to do this currently.

It's a good idea though, so I filed an enhancement request: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23482

Feel free to CC yourself to get updated when it's fixed.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:58 AM
  • User33830 posted

Thanks Rolf,

Out of curiosity when does this get invoked rather than the apple crash reporter and would this be case if the app was distributed through the Appstore ?

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:10 AM
  • User39 posted

This does not prevent Apple's crash reporter from getting invoked (it's in addition to, not instead of).

AFAICT it still happens with apps distributed through the AppStore.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:46 AM
  • User13494 posted

I'm having the same type of issue. I've done some testing to figure out why it was happening and as far as I can tell, there is some low level code in mono that tries to print out a callstack when LLDB is invoked. In 10.9+ specifically, apple seems to have added the prompt to install the command line tools when the LLDB command is executed from a shell command (doesn't occur with the same app crash, abort signal, under 10.8)

There is code in monogdbrendernativebacktraces that looks for the presence of GDB and then falls back to LLBD as a default automatically if not found.

If there was at least a way to prevent the prompt from displaying the option to install (i'm assuming there may be some plist setting that would disable it somewhere?) that would certainly help for the meantime.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:38 PM
  • User35201 posted

We have an open enhancement request asking for this option:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23482

You might not have seen it above, as it was marked as an answer and moved up.

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:35 PM
  • User83558 posted

This still happens in 10.11. A user sees this message whenever they try and print What is the status?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:22 AM
  • User35201 posted

@NeilTurp - If users are seeing that message, it likely means you crashed in native code and lldb is trying to attach (but is not installed). That sounds like an error in your code.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:15 PM