How to Move a task using PSI? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can not understand how to use the outline level (or any other solution) to move a task, using PSI.

I Have the following scenario:

Task Name
    Task 1
       Task 1.1
       Task 1.2
       Task 1.3
       Task 1.4
    Task 2
    Task 3
       Task 3.1
       Task 3.2
       Task 3.3
       Task 3.4

I need to move task 3.3 (Outline leve 2) to be sibiling of task 1.2, if I use the outline level, for example:

Guid movetaskUID = new Guid("cacaa05a-fb78-4ced-862d-2d9b282e754a");
    ProjectDataSet.TaskRow movetask =(
     from task in projectDS.Task
     where task.RowState != System.Data.DataRowState.Deleted
     && task.TASK_UID == movetaskUID
     select task
      ).First();

movetask.TASK_OUTLINE_LEVEL = 1;
    //... update

I get the following result 

Task Name
    Task 1
       Task 1.1
       Task 1.2
       Task 1.3
       Task 1.4
    Task 2
    Task 3
       Task 3.1
       Task 3.2
    Task 3.3
       Task 3.4

How can I use PSI to achieve the following result? Can anyone provide any documentation / blog /...?

Task Name
    Task 1
       Task 1.1
       Task 1.2
       Task 3.3
       Task 1.3
       Task 1.4
    Task 2
    Task 3
       Task 3.1
       Task 3.2
       Task 3.4

Thanks
    Regards,
    Ricardo

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:46 PM

Answers

• Changing the TASK_OUTLINE_LEVEL to 1 is the same as selecting the green Outdent Task arrow in the Schedule group of the Task ribbon in Proj Pro. Also, you can't change the TASK_OUTLINE_NUM, because that is read-only, and internally changed when you reposition the task.

For example, use ProjPro to create a project with the tasks in the order you want, save and close it, and take a look at the project in ProjTool. Then edit the project in ProjPro, move the task where you want, save/close, and look at it again in ProjTool. Whereas in the first case, Task 3.3 was the ProjectDataSet.Task[10] row, after moving the task below 1.2, it becomes the ProjectDataSet.Task[4] row. Project Server has changed the TASK_ID and TASK_OUTLINE_NUM values internally, as well as the TASK_WBS values down the line.

So, you could try the ReadProject method to get the full ProjectDataSet, build a new ProjectDataSet row-by-row from the old one, moving Task 3.3 from the 10th row to the 4th row, and then use the new ProjectDataSet with the QueueUpdateProject method. (I haven't done this -- you might also need to change the TASK_WBS values in the new ProjectDataSet for all the rows after Task 1.2 -- they aren't read-only. But try it first without doing that, to see if Project Server does the job with TASK_WBS)

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

• Changing the TASK_OUTLINE_LEVEL to 1 is the same as selecting the green Outdent Task arrow in the Schedule group of the Task ribbon in Proj Pro. Also, you can't change the TASK_OUTLINE_NUM, because that is read-only, and internally changed when you reposition the task.

For example, use ProjPro to create a project with the tasks in the order you want, save and close it, and take a look at the project in ProjTool. Then edit the project in ProjPro, move the task where you want, save/close, and look at it again in ProjTool. Whereas in the first case, Task 3.3 was the ProjectDataSet.Task[10] row, after moving the task below 1.2, it becomes the ProjectDataSet.Task[4] row. Project Server has changed the TASK_ID and TASK_OUTLINE_NUM values internally, as well as the TASK_WBS values down the line.

So, you could try the ReadProject method to get the full ProjectDataSet, build a new ProjectDataSet row-by-row from the old one, moving Task 3.3 from the 10th row to the 4th row, and then use the new ProjectDataSet with the QueueUpdateProject method. (I haven't done this -- you might also need to change the TASK_WBS values in the new ProjectDataSet for all the rows after Task 1.2 -- they aren't read-only. But try it first without doing that, to see if Project Server does the job with TASK_WBS)

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, I will try that solution. But, for example, the reported time (in timesheet) or other data associated with a specif Task ID will be lost?

Ricardo

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Timesheet lines are associated with task and assignment GUIDs, not the relative task ID. But again, I haven't tried it. Think of this as an experiment.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Timesheet lines are associated with task and assignment GUIDs, not the relative task ID. But again, I haven't tried it. Think of this as an experiment.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]

My guess is that creating a new project with tasks will create new guids. How about adding another field with the desired ID's, then sort by that field and permanently renumber? I don't think this is possible within the PSI though.
    Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

I were able to move a task, deleting and creating a new one using:

SvcProject.ProjectDataSet.TaskRow oldTask = projectDS.Task.FindByTASK_UIDPROJ_UID(new Guid("cacaa05a-fb78-4ced-862d-2d9b282e754a"),
                            projectGuid);

SvcProject.ProjectDataSet.TaskRow newTask = projectDS.Task.NewTaskRow();
    newTask.ItemArray = oldTask.ItemArray;
    newTask.AddPosition = 1;
    newTask.PROJ_UID = projectGuid;
    newTask.AddAfterTaskUID = new Guid("3a06b092-4b34-4baa-8473-ebe1901457bd");
    oldTask.Delete();
    projectDS.Task.Rows.Add(newTask);

but, even, if the TASK_UI is the same the timesheet and assigments are lost.

@Jack I understand that new field can be use to sort the task, but the TASK_PARENT_UID is not updated? Can y please detail a litle bit more your idea?

Using the PWA It's possible to copy and paste a task without losing the assigments and timesheet, so it should be possible to do the same using PSI?

Regards

Ricardo Rocha

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 5:32 PM
  • When you create a task, you also must create a GUID -- so the assignments and timesheet know nothing about the new task.

The algorithim I had in mind is to simply move the existing task to a different row in the ProjectDataSet.Task table, thereby keeping the original task GUID.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:04 PM