none
Office xml formats to pdf or xps use xslt fo RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anybody looked into this.  I'm curious if any ISV's/third parties have developed a solution to this.  I've developing a sharepoint document site and I need a way to successfully convert documents to PDF or XPS.  I saw a lot of third-party tools that have claimed to do this but then when I played with the demo it didn't do what they had claimed.  I need it to run in a server with no human interaction.  Office object model is not an option.  I've had nothing but trouble doing the automation on a server.  Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,

~Justin

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Justin,

an often hear request. Outside of purchasing an external library like Altsoft XML2PDF you are out of luck. One issue is that the output of these PDF engines do not often match the Word document 100%. Also note that, even the Word view of a document might be different from what is actually being printed. I ran across that issue while writing the Open XML book.

Hope it helps, Wouter

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Justin,

an often hear request. Outside of purchasing an external library like Altsoft XML2PDF you are out of luck. One issue is that the output of these PDF engines do not often match the Word document 100%. Also note that, even the Word view of a document might be different from what is actually being printed. I ran across that issue while writing the Open XML book.

Hope it helps, Wouter

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I guess not the answer I really wanted to here but an answer no less Smile  Thanks for the response.  I'll have to start looking at third-party solutions again.

I'm not a huge XML guy but since they are just both xml documents it would be possible just to write a transformation between the two? (not a trivial task but possible) Or am I just missinterpreting how xslt and xslt fo works.

~Justin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Hi Justin,

sorry again Smile, but that is not easily possible. WordprocessingML uses flow based layout, PDF and XPS use absolute positioning. You need a rendering engine to take care of the conversion.

Wouter

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Geez Wouter, you just don't have any good news for me do you. Smile  Thanks so much for your help.  XML2PDF I don't think will work because it doesn't appear to also supoprt PresentationML and SpreadsheetML but at least I know where to start looking.  Thanks again.

~Justin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:53 PM
  • I used to have an add-in for Word called "PDF Writer" - it worked fine. If you Google for PDF Writer you will find a lot of stuff. Even Adobe has one. So, one option might be to convert to old-style Word, and convert from there (assuming PDF Writer doesn't work with docx format yet).

On my current project we output XML to a CinCom server product which converts the input to PDF. Of course, it costs something...

John D.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:44 PM
  • I may be missing something here, but you can use Word to save as PDF. Install the savetoPDF addon, and add the code in the following document.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb412305.aspx

thanks,

Rob

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:33 AM
  • This is an interseting topic that converts office file to PDF! Now, I just get a reverse question how to convert PDF (or xslt/fo) to PPT or word? Interesting?

For Office 2007, it uses open xml to organize the file format. I have ever used xslt/fo technology to generate PDF. Here, fo is similar with open xml that they are just different format that the convert engine can read.

Just like convert office file to PDF, we need a paser to convert fo sechma to open xml so that powerpoint can read it. But how to implement it? This parese should be very complicated and time cost. Who can give a better idea?

Regards,
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:26 PM