Starter Kit RRS feed

• Question

• User1797453978 posted

Hi all,

I tried to upload one of the starter kits (the club web site) but it doesn't run properly. Are there any requirements to run it properly? Any instructions I should obey to? Can you also email me some free hosts where I can try my applications?

abbadum@gmail.com

Thanks

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:11 AM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Explain "doesn't run properly."

Jeff

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:37 AM
  • User1797453978 posted

If I go to a page that doesn't interact with the database it works ok, but when I need to contact the database it gives me error.

My host is www.qsh.eu and according to them I can only use user instances. Well, I am a very begginer in this subject, so I don't really know what that means...[:D]

Do you know any free host where I can try my applications before I launch them to a paid host?

Thanks in advance

C Barroso

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:11 AM
  • User1797453978 posted
    MS SQL 2000 Data Engine - this one doesn't run

MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition only User Instances - runs

Microsoft Access - runs

could this be the problem???

I don't really know if I need ms SQL 2000 Data Engine to run the website properly.

Help please!!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:27 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

You need a database.  It doesn't matter which.  If you use SQL 2000 you need to configure the database for your application and also configure your web.config for the database.  But SQL Express works fine.

Jeff

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:29 AM
  • User1797453978 posted

I am trying to use the starter kit as it is, with just some visual changes but no code changes. It should work fine but it doesn't. If you follow this link you'll see the attributes of my webhost http://www.qsh.eu/view3.aspx?keyid=infofree  .   Do you recommend any other free webhost where I could perhaps try the starter kit? If it is a free host much better...

Thanks

Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:07 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

You will have a similar problem at any hosting service.  You must alter the connection string for the database to match your host, and you must create the database.  The starter kit cannot be used "as is" on almost any hosting service.  Take a look at the GoDaddy thread for suggestions and a good path to follow.

Jeff

Friday, September 1, 2006 10:40 PM
  • User1797453978 posted

Hi Jeff,

I'm still unable to make the club web starter Kit to  work. You told me the problem may  be the connection, so I guess it should be somewhere in here:

<connectionStrings>
      <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;
    AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True"
       providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
      <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;
    AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Club.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
       providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
     </connectionStrings>

Now, where exactly and what changes I should make... well, I truly don't know. Is it  'DataDirectory|' I should change? Should I write the ftp address of my host?

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

C Barroso

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:08 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

You need to change both those connection strings to point to the database on your host.  You'll need to check with your host for what that would be.  If they don't directly support SQL Express you'll also need to change the database.

Jeff

Thursday, September 7, 2006 12:54 PM