Virtualizing SQL 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Okay I have had VMWare instructors and Microsoft Instructors tell me that Virtualizing SQL 2008 R2 is totally doable even with a highly utilized SQL database, such as one that supports SharePoint 2010.  I have found several whitepapers on doing such a thing.  Trouble is all these old school DBAs and Old School IT Managers are dead set against it.  Whats everyone's opinion?

OS = WIN2K8 R2

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• We use Virtualisation and have no problems at all.

I would point your sceptics to http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/virtualization.aspx

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

You may need to talk to them, and get to know concerns why they do not prefer SQL Server virtualization . Once you know that, you can prove that using SQL Server virtualization can meet your organization's SLAs (service level agreements) but also get additional benefits such as cost savings, easy management and so on.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:47 AM

All replies

• We use Virtualisation and have no problems at all.

I would point your sceptics to http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/virtualization.aspx

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Hi Bill,

As their experience, DBA and IT Managers do really have reason to doubt Virtualization. You'd better do some tests to convince them.

Regards,

Albert Ye

Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

You may need to talk to them, and get to know concerns why they do not prefer SQL Server virtualization . Once you know that, you can prove that using SQL Server virtualization can meet your organization's SLAs (service level agreements) but also get additional benefits such as cost savings, easy management and so on.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:47 AM