none
Test error: DF - PNP Rebalance Fail Restart Device Test (Reliability) RRS feed

• Question

• Our goal is to submit our disk storage filter driver to Microsoft to get it signed.

So if i understand correctly we have to run the HLK Tests and if all tests pass we can submit it directly via the HLK Studio.

The filter driver can't be tested directly, but instead must be tested indirectly by testing the hard disk drive.

I've prepared a clean Windows 10 x64 machine and installed all updates. Before starting the tests in HLK Studio i have updated the filters and loaded the newest playlist.

Then i started the tests on a ThinkPad T440p and the "DF - PNP Rebalance Fail Restart Device Test (Reliability)" test failed with:

WDTF_PNP                  : INFO  :  - EDTTryStopDeviceFailRestart()
    WDTF_PNP                  : INFO  :          Target: ST9500420AS SCSI\DISK&VEN_&PROD_ST9500420AS\4&284F69D7&0&000000
    WDTF_PNP                  : INFO  :          Result:   A lower driver failed IRP_MN_QUERY_STOP_DEVICE. Rebalance tests cannot proceed...
    WDTF_PNP                  : ERROR : PNP.RestartDevice() Win32=1 - Unzulässige Funktion.

WDTF_PNP                  : ERROR :          PNP.RestartDevice() Win32=1 - Unzulässige Funktion.

Afterwards i tried exactly the same on a different system. A HP Elitebook 8440p. And exact the same behaviour.

Note, that our own filter driver is NOT installed. This is just a clean Windows machine.

Please let me know if i should provide more information or log files.

EDIT:

Is this related to the filter with ID 14922? Unfortunately i'm not allowed to insert links in here. But this filter seems to be expired recently.

• Edited by neusdan Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:11 PM

All replies

• Tested this on two more systems: Dell Latitude E6420 and a Lenovo Yoga. And exact the same test that is failing.

EDIT:

Placed a second HDD in one of the systems and suprise suprise the test does not fail when run against this HDD, but still for the first one. So this test does not pass for drives that contain the Boot and or Windows partition?

• Edited by neusdan Monday, November 21, 2016 1:24 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 4:15 PM
  • We saw the similar behavior. Looks like this test fails when working against the boot disk.
    • Edited by nepenou Monday, June 12, 2017 11:14 AM
    Monday, June 12, 2017 11:14 AM
  • We had the same Error when running the Test on a disk mapped from an external storage array,

even when choosing the test to run on the attached disk it gives the below error when querying the boot disk, then the test hangs ;

PM WDTF_PNP : Result: A lower driver failed IRP_MN_QUERY_STOP_DEVICE. Rebalance tests cannot proceed...

after closing the test-run window the test finishes with a Pass status.

Monday, June 12, 2017 11:21 AM