none
Open word document with VB6 Documents.Open raises error 5273. The file can be opened from word. Terminal Services XP clients. RRS feed

• Question

• An old VB6 application that has been working from years using

Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(filepathname)

is currently showing the following error:

Source: Microsoft Word

The document name or path is not valid.

Try one or more of the following:

* Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.

* On the File menu, click Open. Search for the file using this dialog box.

(\\server\validfilenamehere.doc)

When the routine is started it takes the error around 10 second to be shown, while in the wait period if the application is clicked or tried to be activated it shows the "Switch to" dialog box. 

The environment presenting the problem is the following:

- Terminal Services Thin Client XP with policy restrictions

- Word 2003

- The document is located in a shared location

Due to the existing policy restrictions the validations done to this point include:

- The user can access the file, there are no permission issues for the Domain User

- The file can be opened directly from within word, or Windows Explorer

The application works flawles in the following environments:

- Terminal Services XP with Word 2007

- Phisical computers with XP with Word 2003, 2010

Due to resource limitations I don't currently have a copy of the production environment to play with.  So I'm looking for a reasonable solution to justify any change or test to be done on the production environment.

I'm trying to identify the precise environment change that triggered the problem but it is being a very long and complicated task whitout guaranteed results.

Friday, January 25, 2013 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi José,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

I will involve some experts into your issue to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Hello José,

This issue requires in-depth troubleshooting. One of the causes for "The document name or path is not valid" error even when the file exists, is related to smart tags. This problem may occur if one or more smart tags in the document are damaged. 

If this is the case, you could try the hotfix mentioned in the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837016

Corresponding issue exists in Office XP as well http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832890.

Thanks,

Sreerenj G Nair

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:50 PM