none
Event Grid Endpoint 429 Error - Higher than Allowed Bitrate RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, new to the forums, please forgive me if this topic is posted in the wrong spot and direct me to the right place if so.

I am trying to write a PS script to post a json to an Event Grid endpoint. 

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $endpoint -Method 'Post' -Headers $header -Body $body

I am using the Invoke-WebRequest function with variables set above. It SEEMS to be well crafted, but when I kick off the script I eventually get the following error:

{ "error": { "code": "429", "message": "Topic MY-CUSTOM-TOPIC-1.WESTUS2-1.EVENTGRID.AZURE.NET is
    being sent a higher than allowed 'byte rate'. Request length = 0, Current rate = 291 bytes/second. Allowed rate =
    26214400 bytes/second. Report '6433d9cb-ddae-4394-96e9-7aa1c0fbd727:6/3/2019 6:54:50 PM (UTC)' to our forums for
    assistance or raise a support ticket.", "details": [{ "code": "TooManyBytes", "message": "Topic
    MY-CUSTOM-TOPIC-1.WESTUS2-1.EVENTGRID.AZURE.NET is being sent a higher than allowed 'byte rate'. Request length = 0,
    Current rate = 291 bytes/second. Allowed rate = 26214400 bytes/second. Report
    '6433d9cb-ddae-4394-96e9-7aa1c0fbd727:6/3/2019 6:54:50 PM (UTC)' to our forums for assistance or raise a support
    ticket." }] } }

In this case it seems that the byte rate that is being sent is well under the allowed rate, yet I am still getting a TooManyBytes error.

Why is this the case?

Monday, June 3, 2019 7:10 PM

Answers

• I am trying to POST this data from the example docs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/event-grid/custom-event-quickstart

[{

"id": "1807",

"eventType": "recordInserted",

"subject": "myapp/vehicles/motorcycles",

"eventTime": "2017-08-10T21:03:07+00:00",

"data": {

"make": "Ducati",

"model": "Monster"
      },

"dataVersion": "1.0"
    }]

This data is only 1 KB. in json form. I've sent the exact same data with no issue and triggered the same topic using other means (Postman/Fiddler), so I am unsure why I am hitting this issue now.

EDIT: Seems that the issue was related to having the body converted from json instead of passing just the json. That wasn't reflected in this error message but nevertheless the issue has been resolved. :)
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:56 PM

All replies

• I believe you are using Event Grid Topics and are hitting the limits on batching as mentioned in the docs.

As of this writing, the limit is 1MB per batch and 64KB per event in the batch.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 3:57 AM
  • I am trying to POST this data from the example docs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/event-grid/custom-event-quickstart

[{

"id": "1807",

"eventType": "recordInserted",

"subject": "myapp/vehicles/motorcycles",

"eventTime": "2017-08-10T21:03:07+00:00",

"data": {

"make": "Ducati",

"model": "Monster"
      },

"dataVersion": "1.0"
    }]

This data is only 1 KB. in json form. I've sent the exact same data with no issue and triggered the same topic using other means (Postman/Fiddler), so I am unsure why I am hitting this issue now.

EDIT: Seems that the issue was related to having the body converted from json instead of passing just the json. That wasn't reflected in this error message but nevertheless the issue has been resolved. :)
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:56 PM
  • I am glad it worked and Thanks for the update .
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:33 AM