MMC could not create the snap-in. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm living this problem always when I try to open SQL Server Configuration Manager, I have installed SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2012 and I have another instance of Express Edition 2012, too. I'm running my instances on Windows 8.1 x64. I have tried several solutions from Internet like Modify the Environment Variables delete files from a Roaming, run sf /scan or something like that from Microsoft page and nothing works. I'd like to know if someone knows a solution about this problem because I can use SQL Server but I cannot run the configuration manager. Thanks for your worthy knowledge and time.

Federico Navarrete

• Moved by Cloud_TS Monday, April 20, 2015 8:30 AM move to appropriate forum
    Friday, April 17, 2015 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Federico,

Based on my research, the above error could occur when some SQL Server binary files are missing.

To fix this issue, could you please uninstall SQL Server 2012 tools and shared components, then reinstall them?  After that, reboot the computer to check if SQL Server configuration manager can work properly.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi Federico,

Right click Microsoft SQL Server 2012(64 bit) and select Uninstall. Then click Remove, this starts the SQL Server Installation Wizard.

On the Select Instance page, use the drop-down box to specify the SQL Server 2012 instance to remove, click Next. On the Select Features page, only choose the shared features to remove. For detailed process, please review this article.

After the uninstallation, please use your original setup media to install the
    shared features again.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Federico,

Based on my research, the above error could occur when some SQL Server binary files are missing.

To fix this issue, could you please uninstall SQL Server 2012 tools and shared components, then reinstall them?  After that, reboot the computer to check if SQL Server configuration manager can work properly.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply but I was out last week, these are the options that I have, I don't see that one you told me, could you tell me which one to uninstall?

Federico Navarrete

• Edited by FANMixco Friday, April 24, 2015 8:41 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 8:40 AM

• Federico Navarrete

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Hi Federico,

Right click Microsoft SQL Server 2012(64 bit) and select Uninstall. Then click Remove, this starts the SQL Server Installation Wizard.

On the Select Instance page, use the drop-down box to specify the SQL Server 2012 instance to remove, click Next. On the Select Features page, only choose the shared features to remove. For detailed process, please review this article.

After the uninstallation, please use your original setup media to install the
    shared features again.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang

Friday, April 24, 2015 9:04 AM