none
Creating form connected to table in access and publishing on SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a access DB which has a table TestCases and I need to create a form which has all fields from TestCases table and then need to publish on SharePoint where users can add new items to the table which gets stored on TestCases table

Please guide.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Jiniv,

What is your Access version? If your Access is Access 2010, I suggest you create Access 2010 web database. If your Access is Access 2013, I suggest you create Access 2013 web app. You could create a form based on table in Access 2010 web database or Access 2013 web app, and you could publish them to SharePoint, view the form in sharepoint site.

# Creating Web Databases with Access 2010 and Access Services
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff402351(v=office.14).aspx
    # Create an Access app
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Access-app-25f3ab3e-510d-44b0-accf-b976c0813e71

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:07 AM
  • I went through the same thing about 2 months ago.  I had two major findings, described below.

#1)  It's pretty easy, and pretty awesome, to load your DB onto SharePoint and download it when you need to do something/anything.  The reason is, it takes just a few seconds to do the download and when you do that you can actually use VBA.  VBA will NOT run on SharePoint or in any kind of web-based environment.

#2)  You may not want to hear this, but you can dispense with SharePoint all-together.  You can setup a front-end and back-end environment and distributs front-ends to all users, who all write data to one single back-end.  If you want to try this, I can send you script that I created to re-connect all front-ends to the back-end, just by clicking a button. 

Actually, there is at least one other option.  If you are comfortable with Visual Studio, you can setup a truly web-based solution using ASP.NET and either C# or VB, to create a web interface which writes to an Access back-end.  If you expect MANY people to use this system, you should probably go with SQL Server, and forego Access all-together.

Regards,
    Ryan---

MY BOOK

Sunday, April 17, 2016 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi. Is there any reason why you can't convert your table into a List in SharePoint? You could try using an InfoPath form.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:11 PM
  • I want to store all the data to MS Access thats why I haven't converted it into a List in SharePoint.

Correct me if I am wrong 

Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:16 PM
  • I want to store all the data to MS Access thats why I haven't converted it into a List in SharePoint.

Correct me if I am wrong 

Without knowing your full intention and the nature of your database, I am not sure anyone can tell you if you're doing it wrong or not. One thing is for sure though, your SharePoint site *must* be able to "reach" the Access database for it to work as you're asking. It could mean storing the Access file on the SharePoint server. It's easier to store the data in SharePoint and have Access manipulate it, but you seem to be asking to do it the opposite way.

Just my 2 cents...

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:40 PM
  • Hi Jiniv,

What is your Access version? If your Access is Access 2010, I suggest you create Access 2010 web database. If your Access is Access 2013, I suggest you create Access 2013 web app. You could create a form based on table in Access 2010 web database or Access 2013 web app, and you could publish them to SharePoint, view the form in sharepoint site.

# Creating Web Databases with Access 2010 and Access Services
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff402351(v=office.14).aspx
    # Create an Access app
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Access-app-25f3ab3e-510d-44b0-accf-b976c0813e71

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:07 AM
  • I went through the same thing about 2 months ago.  I had two major findings, described below.

#1)  It's pretty easy, and pretty awesome, to load your DB onto SharePoint and download it when you need to do something/anything.  The reason is, it takes just a few seconds to do the download and when you do that you can actually use VBA.  VBA will NOT run on SharePoint or in any kind of web-based environment.

#2)  You may not want to hear this, but you can dispense with SharePoint all-together.  You can setup a front-end and back-end environment and distributs front-ends to all users, who all write data to one single back-end.  If you want to try this, I can send you script that I created to re-connect all front-ends to the back-end, just by clicking a button. 

Actually, there is at least one other option.  If you are comfortable with Visual Studio, you can setup a truly web-based solution using ASP.NET and either C# or VB, to create a web interface which writes to an Access back-end.  If you expect MANY people to use this system, you should probably go with SQL Server, and forego Access all-together.

Regards,
    Ryan---

MY BOOK

Sunday, April 17, 2016 2:30 AM