making a computer to turn into robot RRS feed

• Question

• hello every body

i am bharath from india . recently we have been given project to build a robot. here the robot components are not that available.we started by using microsoft robotic studio the robot i am building have following requirements.

1. it needs to have two  onboard camera (web cam ) and robotic arm.

2. it needs to be controlled from remotely by a server.

3.it needs to be connected using wifi lan network.

4. it needs to have onboard video encoder to stream video to server publishing point

we started building by taking a cpu of p4 and installed windows xp on it.

we studied documents of robotic studio and installed runtimes on the cpu for robot. we are also able to succesfully run an alert box using dss deploy package .

but we are facing challenge in interfacing the communication port. i need the suggestion whether my plan really works or is their any drawback. should i take a different direction

thanking you

bharath
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:24 PM

Answers

• Your design is possible.

I'll assume your comm port is for the LAN connection which begs the question of why not use a wireless B/G/N card onboard?  Since you've got XP, you should be able to run most cards avalable.  Running that way, you would have few problems getting connectivity between the server and the robot (assuming it stays within range of the wireless access point).  Your connection to your server could either be old-fashion TCPIP of your own handshack devising or you could put some of your robot services onto the server and let the robotic studio protocols communicate with the services on the robot.

If you want a larger range to your access point, you could find something like:  http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9411 a wireless modem with about 40 mile range.  You would have to program it like a COM port writing your own protocols for data integrity.  I don't know if it would be available to you though.

Ed

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:37 PM

All replies

• Your design is possible.

I'll assume your comm port is for the LAN connection which begs the question of why not use a wireless B/G/N card onboard?  Since you've got XP, you should be able to run most cards avalable.  Running that way, you would have few problems getting connectivity between the server and the robot (assuming it stays within range of the wireless access point).  Your connection to your server could either be old-fashion TCPIP of your own handshack devising or you could put some of your robot services onto the server and let the robotic studio protocols communicate with the services on the robot.

If you want a larger range to your access point, you could find something like:  http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9411 a wireless modem with about 40 mile range.  You would have to program it like a COM port writing your own protocols for data integrity.  I don't know if it would be available to you though.

Ed

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:37 PM
  • You don't mention a communication port in your list of requirements, but I assume it is for controlling the robotic arm. There is sample code for using a serial port here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee309885.aspx

If you use an SSC32 controller from Lynxmotion to control servos on the arm, then there is a service for it in the ProMRDS samples.

Trevor

Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:55 AM