anyone please point me a better design with my sample code RRS feed

• Question

• I am on a project which needs to  process several type of messages,for each type message,the process is little different.

following is the sample of Message I defined.

interface IMessage

{

//

}

class MessageA:IMessage

{

}

class MessageB:IMessage

{

}

following is the process class

interface  ITransformer

{

void Transform(IMessage message);

}

class Transformaer:ITransformer

{

void Transform(IMessage message)

{

if(message is MessageA)

{

//transform messageA

}  

if(message is MessageB)

{

//transform messageB

}

}

}

so far,I am not satisfied with this design,because whenever there is a new Message comes in,I need to change Transform logic,so any one please point me a better design for this,

thanks.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:00 AM

Answers

• I suggest using Visitor pattern instead of "is" operator. Code should become much cleaner if number of your message types won't become large. In that case I wolud propose using one-class-per-transformation-per-message solution and an object that binds these classes to transformation "categories" (may be dynamic) and lets you do simply Transformer.Transofm(IMessage msg).
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:58 PM

All replies

• One more thing is I will have 30 more different Transforms and new will be added as new feature arrives.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:08 AM
  • NServiceBus gives you this out of the box.

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  Udi Dahan The Software Simplist wrote:
    NServiceBus gives you this out of the box.

lot of code in NServiceBus,can you give me a simple sample?

Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:09 AM
  •  

If the transformation for each message is a little different, I would look into using the strategy pattern.

Here is a link to a high level explanation of this  pattern (and many others).

http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/PatternStrategy.aspx

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  TimJim wrote:

If the transformation for each message is a little different, I would look into using the strategy pattern.

Here is a link to a high level explanation of this  pattern (and many others).

http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/PatternStrategy.aspx

I will have 30+ different Transformers handling several types of messages which inherit from IMessage,so  strategy pattern here not the proper pattern for it.

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I suggest using Visitor pattern instead of "is" operator. Code should become much cleaner if number of your message types won't become large. In that case I wolud propose using one-class-per-transformation-per-message solution and an object that binds these classes to transformation "categories" (may be dynamic) and lets you do simply Transformer.Transofm(IMessage msg).
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:58 PM