Am I being excommunicated from this VB Forum? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi to all

Points are not being accrued to my profile. Actions are not being listed in my profile activity. I am being blocked from public sites - like the Suggestions forum. " You are not authorized to perfom this action ".

The page loads are unnecessarily slow. I have poor internet (that's another story), but I know that my msdn activities are being "dogged", because the pages would normally take say 15 seconds - but they "hang" for about 100 more seconds - consistently. This has been the case for about 2-3 months, and I have been in the habit of programming in VS while I wait for each page to load. It has been extremely tedious and frustrating.

But my points have been withheld for about the last week or so.

What's going on?

Appreciate any hope or encouragement

Leon

Leon C Stanley - - A dinky di VB'er - -

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:45 AM

All replies

• Leon,

To be honest with you I have been here longer than anyone and I've never heard of such a thing. Even the one person I've seen tossed out was tossed out for one year and then he was back and in good graces.

I would suspect that that problems are technical. You want to give a run down of your system.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Leon,

You are not the only one who recognise more and more strange behavior in the forums. Seems to be in the forum software. It is less fun to participate.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:58 AM
  • The same is happening to me with regard to the points and actions. It's a known issue: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/94d45a7a-e366-430c-b518-f1bd31698348. And I'm not getting all the email notifications I should be.

--
    Andrew

Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:21 AM
  • It is acting rather strange. As my accrued points went from 10, 935 (or so) to 11,000 even for no reason that I could find (though I'm not complaining).

I think that Microsoft should add a new Post into each forum to notify peeps that they have changed the forums code (and show the new rev number) so peeps will know something new and totally unexpected will be occuring any second. Then maybe add a tracking sticky near the top of the forum that can be used by users so when they find the new and frustrating capabilities they can add a new post with that information into the tracking sticky. Then everybody else can view the tracking stickies posts to see what is weirding out in the forums.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:58 PM
  • And I'm not getting all the email notifications I should be.

--
    Andrew

I haven't seen any notifications in over a month. Time for the forums enema?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Hy All,

I also noticed something strange lately I sometimes do not get the email notification and I lose the thread to which I replied in the street, sometimes my profile is not updated properly and lately some answers I gave were no longer stored in the profile.

Bye.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:56 PM
  • OT:

Cor, I sent you an email about something else to your email address on your website, but it bounced back with an error of "552 Mailbox size limit exceeded." I'm pretty sure it wasn't the few hundred bytes of my email that exceeded the size limit.

--
    Andrew

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:30 PM
  • 'I haven't seen any notifications in over a month. Time for the forums enema?'

It's been time for one. One may gather that ms does not value it's HTML people.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Email: I got them all ... 24 hours later

Activity ... Always missing the last 24 hrs

Point ??? I dont know, I am not realy monitoring it

Mark someone as propose as answer ... Almost impossible

Fast page load ... Fast with chrome ... slow with IE

Click submit ... and nothing happen , just lost all I wrote .. sometime. And that is making me ___ off.
    • Edited by Crazypennie Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:49 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:07 PM
  • I think the forums are in some sort of melt-down.

Now as well as not being credited points or being notified of most of the replies, it isn't even marking all the threads I've replied to with the notification icon.

However, I haven't had the impossible-to-submit problem for a while (using Firefox), but I have got into the habit of copying long replies into a text editor before hitting submit, just in case.

--
    Andrew

Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:34 PM
  • I think the forums are in some sort of melt-down.

Now as well as not being credited points or being notified of most of the replies, it isn't even marking all the threads I've replied to with the notification icon.

However, I haven't had the impossible-to-submit problem for a while (using Firefox), but I have got into the habit of copying long replies into a text editor before hitting submit, just in case.

--
    Andrew

I built my own (which is automatically saved) – which sure makes it a lot easier to add images and it includes a spell checker (Lord knows I need one!).

Please call me Frank :)

Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:40 PM

--
    Andrew

Wise :)
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:47 PM

--
    Andrew

No because this put Microsoft in the same level as a schoolkids organization making software. 

It is not a schoolkids software organisation. These forums give only that idea.

There are many good Microsoft developers outside the area of those who are responsible of the forums which do a good job. A pity these forums give another idea which you with your reply maybe not meant like that, but in fact does.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:29 PM
  • Andrew, 

Use that encripted old newsgroup email address from me. You should know it, I never use that VB tips email box. 

NotMyFirstName@planet.nl

I want to do the communication in Forums and Newsgroups, but for long time friends like you I make of course exceptions. 

:-)

Success
    Cor

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Microsoft, I want the same treatment as Mr.Monkeyboy. I want my points to go from 1050 to 11000.

:)

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Microsoft, I want the same treatment as Mr.Monkeyboy. I want my points to go from 1050 to 11000.

Why?

Points mean nothing. Were you here when they used medals instead of points?

That meant nothing either, in fact I said then and will again that it's an illusion to newcomers. It means NOTHING.

Want me to prove it? I can easily:

Look a few messages up and you'll see CrazyPennie. Look at his points and compare them to mine. So, therefore ... therefore what?

Crazy is one of, if not THE BEST and most knowledgable people this place has ever had. BAR NONE.

... but I have more points.

*crossing my eyes*

It means nothing...

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:53 AM

--
    Andrew

No because this put Microsoft in the same level as a schoolkids organization making software. 

It is not a schoolkids software organisation. These forums give only that idea.

There are many good Microsoft developers outside the area of those who are responsible of the forums which do a good job. A pity these forums give another idea which you with your reply maybe not meant like that, but in fact does.

Success
    Cor

It is Microsoft that choose to keep this forum in the state of schoolkid software,

But Cor don't take me wrong, .. Microsoft has excellent developers and I am sure that the problem of this forum is not the quality of the developers, but the fact that the developers are not given the time to fix it. ( or to redo it ... with all the patches that were made on this software with the years, it is probably in a state that is beyond repairs)

I have tried for a few months to talk with whoever is in charge of the forums ( remember the forum for the regular ?) ... Well, here is my conclusion:  Either the name of this person is Top Secret (National Security)  ... or there is just nobody in charge of it

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Why?

Points mean nothing. Were you here when they used medals instead of points?

That meant nothing either, in fact I said then and will again that it's an illusion to newcomers. It means NOTHING.

Want me to prove it? I can easily:

Look a few messages up and you'll see CrazyPennie. Look at his points and compare them to mine. So, therefore ... therefore what?

Crazy is one of, if not THE BEST and most knowledgable people this place has ever had. BAR NONE.

... but I have more points.

*crossing my eyes*

It means nothing...

So true that I gave you 5 more points (but I gave Crazy 5 as well to be fair).

I do find it amazing that Microsoft allows the forums (OK Renee :) fora) that are one of its public faces to the developer community to be such a joke.

• Edited by Blackwood Friday, March 8, 2013 4:02 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 3:53 AM
  • The points system is great if it runs fairly and without interference. It provides a vehicle for  acknowlegement.

Hi Renee

My system: Win 7 Home Premium Sp1, HP pavillion dv7 notebook, i7 cpu Q 820 @ 1.73 Ghz, 4 gig ram (2.99 usable), 32 bit Operating. I always update windows updates. Also Java updates (not sure what for ?). I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti virus. Use my android phone as a wifi hotspot - because 1 gig of data per month is enough for me. Never really get virus or malware because I only use internet for serious purposes and keep well away from all the rubbish racketeering stuff. But have felt that the internet generally has been compromised by the socio-religio-political global powers - and the big corporations.

My general internet performance " on a good day" is about 6 meg/min - which I can live with - but it should be a lot more. However, using the msdn forums has been consistently about 2 min/page load - even if it is a page with quite a few pictures - or a small thread with one post - it still takes around 2 mins. It is like someone  has put a timer on my msdn pageloads.

Interesting what Crazy said about google chrome.

Thanks all for you valuable input. Hope things get better.

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Leon,

You are not the only one who recognise more and more strange behavior in the forums. Seems to be in the forum software. It is less fun to participate.

Success
    Cor

I have also seen this behavior.  I have answered multiple questions and not seen any change in points not that I care about points as I only have 100 but it is nice to know if your answer was helpful.  so It is less fun to participate. 

Work Smarter Not Harder

Friday, March 8, 2013 4:26 PM
  • So true that I gave you 5 more points (but I gave Crazy 5 as well to be fair).

I do find it amazing that Microsoft allows the forums (OK Renee :) fora) that are one of its public faces to the developer community to be such a joke.

I feel sure that part of the problem is that the gatekeepers [of this forum] aren't users [of this forum]. I suspect that if they were, it wouldn't be in such disarray, at least not this bad for this long now.

Thank you for the points (if they stick ;-))

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:09 PM
  • I agree whole heartily about the fora!!! They have become a joke although I must admit they have some nice features. Just after they have put photos in....they've also reduced the total size :(

Renee

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Leon,

I hate to say it, but by today's standards, you're running close to a minimal system.

Renee

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Frank,

I was kidding, did not you see the :). We all here to learn and share the knowledge with others. Points mean nothing to me like you stated.

Regards,

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:21 PM
  • Frank,

I was kidding, did not you see the :). We all here to learn and share the knowledge with others. Points mean nothing to me like you stated.

Regards,

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Luc,

What is this "forum for the regular[s]"? Is it something I never saw, or something that never materialized?

--
    Andrew

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Andew, About a year ago, the regulars of this forum and I tried to contact Microsoft so they start a forum where we can exchange idea,and learn a bit more about each other ... 

We were asking this forum to be locked for the user that didn't had a minimum achievement.

It has been impossible to get in communication with the persons responsible ... but we were told by Microsoft to use the "Off Topic" forum while they were processing our request.

But we were kicked off this forum by some moderators .. Why ? I don't know.

After that, I kept trying to contact someone in charge of the forums, but without success ... 

And as we can see, the forum was never open  ... 

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:37 PM
  • You know, This is something that I found really not right from Microsoft.

The reason, is when you click HELP in the IDE, they are forwarding people here to get the help, We are not paid, some are giving a lot of hours to help ... 

I think that we were not asking much in comparison of the service we are giving ... 

And at least, just by respect someone should have answer ... even if it was to say No

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:48 PM
  • "We were asking this forum to be locked for the user that didn't had a minimum achievement"

Whereas I totally agree with this, who does the "proof work"?

Renee

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Hmm... maybe if several MVPs were to contact Microsoft the idea would carry more weight. I'm not sure that contacting the "Spec Lead for Microsoft Visual Basic in Redmond" would gain anything, even though I have seen him participate in this forum.

After all, our VB world is only a small part of the Microsoft makeup. I can imagine all the forum-classes (VB, C#, SQL, the list goes on...) regulars would want their own; not that that would be a bad thing. Although, if we say nothing, nothing will happen.

Sorry Leon, I seem to have created a bit of thread-drift.

--
    Andrew

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:09 PM
  • Andrew, I think I have the name of the former ms head of the forums. The difficulty is that he no longer works for ms.

Renee

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:13 PM
  • You know, This is something that I found really not right from Microsoft.

The reason, is when you click HELP in the IDE, they are forwarding people here to get the help, We are not paid, some are giving a lot of hours to help ... 

I think that we were not asking much in comparison of the service we are giving ...

Ahh, but think of all the innocent minds they are directing towards us for us to shape to our way of thinking, errr.. <fx:stroking cat> MWHAHAHA?

It's in our nature to help people, and if, along the way, it results in us getting less hassle overall then we have succeeded in something personally and hopefully added some slight amount to the whole of humanity. If we weren't here, we'd be in some other forum anyway.

Ooh, what's that over there? Shiny! I really should go and rescue the galaxy in a computer game now.

--
    Andrew

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:46 PM
  • Hi Andrew

I'm more than happy for the thread to go where ever it wants to. That's the beauty of free speech.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Thanks Crazypennie!

Google Chrome is much faster. I'm getting 15 second pageloads again!.

Cheers

Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:11 PM
  • Guys,

A parallel thread on the issues in the forum can be found here.

Regards,
    Rahul

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Yea but for the MSDN forums it is this one.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

Be aware it is constantly marked as done, so feel free to create new ones.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:24 AM