none
Cross Geo App: SQL Server Mirroring vs. Local App Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not personally a DBA or claim to be a database expert, instead I am a software architect who works closely with database architects and DBA's. I'm presently architecting a system where we will have a smart client used in both Europe and the United States from the same database instance.

The system is to be used for performance testing of devices and then the results will be available to management through the same smart client used by test engineers etc. The first release is operational in the United States today with Poland coming online shortly.

Today we are weighing our options between having cross-geo database mirroring or merely having the database server in the United States with application server level caching implemented in Poland and the United States.

The .net framework's Windows Communication Foundation is used with a netTcpBinding and the service layer is asynchronous with the reliableSession option enabled.

Does anyone have any feedback on whether you would go with cross-geo database mirroring or would you use local application servers with possibly some caching capabilities at that layer? Please also describe the benefits and any risks associated with each also...

Thanks in advance,

Doug Holland

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:40 PM