Do I need all this installed just to use Expression Web? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I downloaded Expression Studio 4 from Dreamspark but I'm really just interested in Expression Web, at least for the time being; and I only selected to install Expression Web and not the other 3 applications. While installing I noticed other stuff being installed and now I see my "Programs and Features" in Control Panel cluttered with lost of stuff, I hate when apps do that.

I was expecting to simply see "Microsoft Expression Web 4", instead, I see:

• Microsoft Expression Blend 3 SDK
    • Microsoft Expression Blend SDK for .NET 4
    • Microsoft Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 4
    • Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture Codec
    • Microsoft Expression Studio 4
    • Microsoft Expression Web 4

Ok, I get the "studio" one but I still think it shouldn't exist. I probably should not uninstall this one, I'm fine with that, but...

Why do I need all those Blend SDK's? I have not installed/selected Blend for install, why did Blend SDK's got installed? I have also not installed/selected Encoder 4 and if it isn't installed, why do I need the screen capture codec that it offers? Can I use it with any other screen capture app or just with Encoder? Still, I don't have the need for screen capture so I don't need this codec at all.

Can I uninstall all that extra stuff (besides the Studio entry of course)? Will Web 4 keep working without all that?

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Blend and Encoder come with EW.  If you don't want them, you don't need to keep them.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Web include the standard version of Encoder and Design. Studio ads Blend and the enhanced version of encoder.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:41 PM
  • AFAIK,

Studio comes with Blend with Sketch Flow, Encoder, Design, and EWx.

Just EW comes with Design, Encoder and EW.

Except for the fact that you do not mention Design I cannot explain because you said you downloaded EW Studio 4 Design should have been included.

MIKE E

"It's like déjà vu all over again." — Yogi Berra
    Friday, November 26, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Mike, MS in its ultimate wisdom, or perhaps a marketing spasm, decided that the versions would all be "studios" now. Basically, the offerings are Expression Studio Web Professional (what was included with EW in v.3—EW, ED, and EE), and Expression Studio Ultimate (that, plus Blend with Sketchflow, and Encoder Pro versus the [basic?] encoder provided with ESWP).

Expression Encoder Pro is also offered as a separate purchase. It offers some input and output options not available in EE, and increases screen recording time beyond the ten-minutes available for EE. Other than that, they appear to be the same.

So, in essence, if it includes EW now, it's a "studio" of one kind or another. Ain't life grand... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:07 PM
  • You guys are confusing me even more...

Maybe a couple of pictures will help understand my question better. I have downloaded Expression Studio 4 from DreamSpark, a file named ExpressionStudio_Dspk_Ultimate4_en.iso . Which comes with Web, Blend + SketchFlow, Design and Encoder. Launching the setup gave me the follow options screen which is selected the way I installed it:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2d6ihc.png

After that, I got this on my control panel:

http://i54.tinypic.com/ma8fhy.png

I just want to know if I can remove all that extra stuff without breaking anything if I simply want to use EW. My logic here is 1) I did not install Blend, so I don't need the associated SDKs 2) I did not install Encoder, so I don't need Encoder Screen Capture Codec 3) I don't know if I need ES installed just for EW.

• Edited by Ricardo.Amaral Friday, November 26, 2010 9:51 PM fixed links
    Friday, November 26, 2010 9:49 PM
  • FWIW, I forgot to say all you really need installed is ASP.NET 4.0 and Expression Web but unless you are pressed for space there is no need to remove the other apps.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    • Proposed as answer by Cheryl D Wise Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ricardo.Amaral Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:53 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 9:49 PM
  • It's not a question about "need" to remove but about "can" I remove them without any problems?

Space is not a concern but I like I said, I don't like my system cluttered with stuff I don't need/care. I didn't ask to install any of that, I simply want to use EW. What do I need Blend SDKs for? Why do I need the Screen Capture Codec for? I haven't even installed Blend and/or Encoder...

I simply want to understand if they are related to EW somehow, or if I can get rid of them...

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Well, since no one else seems to have cared to do this, and therefore we have no answer, why don't you go ahead and be the first to try it, then report back what results you got, for the archives?

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:23 PM
  • I won't have anything to report just by uninstalling them. If there's a problem doing it, the problem will probably be noticed in the long run, using the app. That's why I decided to ask it here first...
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:46 PM
  • As I said earlier, you only "need" Expression Web 4 and ASP.NET 4.0 to use Expression Web. The others are part of the suite that add more features & options  but not 100% required.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I

just noticed that you mentioned "Dream Spark" is that the same or is that actually "Web Spark" which is a program for web professionals and individuals that receive license for software and support as part of a 3 year program with MS.  If so that may have a effect on how the software is packaged for delivery to those participants of program. Just asking a clariifcation

MIKE E

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:32 AM
  • No, Mike. DreamSpark is a wholly separate program offered to students. WebsiteSpark, as you have noted, is a program offered to Web professionals. They are similar in that a select offering of Microsoft development applications are offered for free.

To my knowledge, there is no requirement that any participant in either program install and use all of the software offered as part of the program. The OP is free to do whatever he wishes. His question was whether or not it is necessary to keep as installed applications those parts of the software which he does not use in order for EW to function correctly.

Not having ever felt the need, or desire, to uninstall part of a freely-acquired development suite, I can offer no guidance on whether such installations will negatively affect the performance of EW. Given the ludicrously low cost of storage these days, in his place I would just leave them be. But, that's just me. He seems to feel otherwise, and is looking for information before he takes a step which may break what he wishes to use.

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:49 AM
  • Scott,

Storage is cheap if you use desktops. My tablet has ssd drives and if you've ever priced those you'd know they are a) not available in large sizes and b) once you get above 64gb they are expensive. A 256mb ssd is $550-780 depending on whether it is a a 1.8 or 2.5" drive and who makes it. Its fast though. <g>

Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Me personally I would want to find out what "all that Suff" was about.  In his assumed capacity as a student or at least a new user why would you want to get rid of stuff that may enhance your learning designing experience.  However it is a personal preference.

All the best,

MIKE E

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:41 AM