Antivirus Software

Question

• I keep reading about how secure Win 8 is. Do I need to install antivirus software? In the past I've used Microsoft Security Essentials. I looked to install it but didn't see a download option for Windows 8.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 11:41 AM

Answers

• On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:41:22 +0000, WolfpackFan wrote:

I keep reading about how secure Win 8 is. Do I need to install antivirus software? In the past I've used Microsoft Security Essentials. I looked to install it but didn't see a download option for Windows 8.

Windows Defender and MSE have been merged in Windows 8 and the merged
    feature has been renamed back to Windows Defender. If you search for
    Windows Defender from the Start screen and then open it, it should look
    very familiar if you're used to using MSE.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You might have mail.

• Marked as answer by WolfpackFan Monday, September 19, 2011 12:25 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:08 PM

All replies

• On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:41:22 +0000, WolfpackFan wrote:

I keep reading about how secure Win 8 is. Do I need to install antivirus software? In the past I've used Microsoft Security Essentials. I looked to install it but didn't see a download option for Windows 8.

Windows Defender and MSE have been merged in Windows 8 and the merged
    feature has been renamed back to Windows Defender. If you search for
    Windows Defender from the Start screen and then open it, it should look
    very familiar if you're used to using MSE.

Paul Adare
    You might have mail.

• Marked as answer by WolfpackFan Monday, September 19, 2011 12:25 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:08 PM
  • I too wondered this, I dont think unscrupulous dev's would have had time to adapt virii to W8 just yet so i'm not too worried about not running AV but at the same time I would like to know because im nosey.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:06 PM
  • I too wondered this, I dont think unscrupulous dev's would have had time to adapt virii to W8 just yet so i'm not too worried about not running AV but at the same time I would like to know because im nosey.
    Well when the windows 7 beta came out i became too involved in it and tried hundreds of viruses. Turns out nearly 98% didn't work, and for the ones that did work they were unable to do much damage because of the UAC control. I haven't tried much viruses on 8 yet but i think only a few will work.   
    I love testing out very buggy systems. Favorite OS: Windows Whistler. Consoles: Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Gamecube, PC
    • Edited by Oracle Blue Fox Monday, September 19, 2011 1:09 PM spelling correction
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:08 PM
  • On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:06:02 +0000, WillHo01 wrote:

I too wondered this, I dont think unscrupulous dev's would have had time to adapt virii to W8 just yet so i'm not too worried about not running AV but at the same time I would like to know because im nosey.

This question has already been answered.

Paul Adare
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I was not able to find and launch the Defender program until I did it the old fashioned way, i.e., going into Windows Explorer, looking in the Defender program file folder, and clicking on MSASCui.exe. When I did, I saw that the updates were 150 days old.

Following this, I looked at the Windows Update Metro tab, it reported that no updates were available. I performed a manual check for updates through Control Panel, it reported nine Knowledge Base updates plus one Windows Defender definition update. Obviously, Windows Update is not functioning in this release.

I realize that this is a pre-beta program, but the automatic update feature should be working without intervention, especially since the program is not easily available.

Gateway laptop Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:20 PM