none
VS2015 tab woes

Question

• 1) I like to have the Start Page as the leftmost tab all of the time.  But, more often than not, it is not displayed, and a lot of times no tab is displayed, when VS2015 is launched.  Have tried pinning. Displaying, pinning, close, reopen. But on the next launch the tabs that are displayed seem to be random.

2) I also like to arrange tabs in a particular order during development and debugging.  But if new tabs do not fit it seems that the leftmost tab is 'wrapped' around to the far right. Seems to happen a lot when the debugger stops at a breakpoint or exception.  This is just silly. Why are these tabs being moved to the opposite side?

3) Despite repeatedly setting and verifying that yes, I want new tabs to appear on the right, in many case they still appear on the left. Why have the setting if it doesn't work under all conditions?

Is there a discussion or explanation somewhere as to why tab handling in Visual Studio is such a mess?

TIA for all of your insight!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi megabitee,

>>Note the Start Page is pinned. Opening another VS2015 on the right-hand monitor displays tabs that were open when the project solution was closed.  But the Start Page is not there.

One issue is that the start page was not pinned if we re-open VS, like the following screen shot, if I close the pin like A, and then re-open the blank VS IDE in my side, it was not pinned again.

For your previous issue, if you select "Show start page" like the following screen shot, but it doesn't show the start page if you open the blank VS IDE, I think we would think about the VS Setup or others.

If you start your VS in safe mode, how about the result? So we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins or extension tool.

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

Add a new admin user in your windows, and then log-in using the new user, re-open your VS, how about the result?

If still no help, since we couldn't repro this issue, I suggest you uninstall the VS, and then re-install it again. The latest update for the VS2015 is Update 3 now.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi megabitee,

>>I like to have the Start Page as the leftmost tab all of the time.

Could you share us a screen shot about the result you want to set in your side?

For example, I change the start page's location in my VS2015.

If I restart the VS, I will get the previous default result for the start page.

So my understanding is that certain window's location was not really saved to the VS settings file even if we changed it. So if we restart the VS, it will change back to the default settings like the start page.

In addition, we set the start page under TOOLS->Options->Environment->Startup, so if we re-open the VS, it will use the default settings from the "Environment->Startup".

But for certain window like the solution explorer window, if we change it from the right site to the left side, if we re-open a new VS/project, it will share the solution explorer window on the left, so it saved this settings.

For other two questions, I think it was the similar issue, the VS has the settings file you choose during you start the VS for the first time, of course, you could also reset it from TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

So every time it will use the default .settings file you choose, since some window settings were not really saved, so it will use the default settings, but some options were saved to the settings file.

In addition, Like the following step:

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

If you choose the C# Settings, it will has the different windows location in your VS IDE from the VC++ Settings, so sometimes it is also related to the language settings you use. For example, I remember that the solution explorer windows was on the left side if you select the VC++ settings in default.

If I have misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:17 AM
  • In addition, we set the start page under TOOLS->Options->Environment->Startup, so if we re-open the VS, it will use the default settings from the "Environment->Startup".

VS2015 was previously closed with several tabs, including Start Page, visible. This was what I see on reopening. For me, VS2015 is obviously not remembering open tabs and not following the Options settings.

Monday, June 27, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Hi megabitee,

(1)It seems that you sign in your VS with your Microsoft account "KJ', please sign out, and then test it again.

(2)Please check that whether it is related to the Synchronized Settings.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn135229(v=vs.140).aspx

(3) Please also install the Update 2 for your VS2015.

Of course, after step 1~step3, like my previous reply, please reset your VS settings, and then test the result.

If you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:57 AM
  • Below is another example of confusing behavior.  VS2015 was already open on the left-hand monitor. Note the Start Page is pinned. Opening another VS2015 on the right-hand monitor displays tabs that were open when the project solution was closed.  But the Start Page is not there. For some weeks now I have been then opening the Start Page and pinning it. But most of the time it is missing on the next launch of VS2015 regardless of solution.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Hi megabitee,

>>Note the Start Page is pinned. Opening another VS2015 on the right-hand monitor displays tabs that were open when the project solution was closed.  But the Start Page is not there.

One issue is that the start page was not pinned if we re-open VS, like the following screen shot, if I close the pin like A, and then re-open the blank VS IDE in my side, it was not pinned again.

For your previous issue, if you select "Show start page" like the following screen shot, but it doesn't show the start page if you open the blank VS IDE, I think we would think about the VS Setup or others.

If you start your VS in safe mode, how about the result? So we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins or extension tool.

Devenv.exe /SafeMode

Add a new admin user in your windows, and then log-in using the new user, re-open your VS, how about the result?

If still no help, since we couldn't repro this issue, I suggest you uninstall the VS, and then re-install it again. The latest update for the VS2015 is Update 3 now.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:45 AM