none
Shared Source CLI RRS feed

• Question

• I get Rotor  Shared Source CLI. and unzipped it.

Now when i start to run env.bat i got following error:

*** Error *** 
    MSVCDir not defined. VC++ environment variables must be set before 
    executing.)

I have WinXP SP2 and VS 2008 with C#.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:11 PM

Answers

• The GC code can be found in clr\src\vm\gc*.* ,gcsmp.cpp seems to have the largest chunk of it though.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:24 AM
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:01 PM
  • you might be able to use (File->new->Project from existing source) for easy editing within the VS.NET IDE, but for building / debugging you would still need to use the command line tools.

This is the point where I cannot hold your hand any more, I'm ok with answering a quick question or two, but guiding you though the process of how to modify the SSCLI source and compile/debug/test your changes would require me to invest more time in you then I currently have available, sorry about that. 

This is not a project you can finish in a few afternoons, be prepared to spend months on it, it'll require a good understanding of the CLI Internal structure an understanding what problems it is solving and why it is solving them the way it does. On the bright side of things, Joel Pobar has written an excellent book on the subject that is out of print now, so he's giving it away for free ! Chapter 2 walks you though a typical change/build/test/debug cycle while chapter 9 gives you in an depth look on memory management.

I wish you the best of luck with your project!

• Proposed as answer by eryang Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:47 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 7:15 PM

All replies

• I fix problem.

I was unable to set MSVCDir in env.core.pl file. it was due to choose bad text editor. Now i use VS to edit env.core.pl and on line number 445 iset MSVCDir path which is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC" on my machine.

Now env is running and it thorw bug that perl is not installed.

Now i am going to first install PERL.

HERE I HAVE CONFUSION.

WHY PERL IS REQUIRED HERE?

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Not sure where that confusion is coming from even the download page mentions you'd need perl 5.8.7 to build it?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Confusion is not about requirement.

i simply want to know that why PERL is required woth .NET CLI?

By the way i installed PERL and now Shared Source CLI is working fine with me.

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:54 PM
  • I have to admit that it is an educated guess, but the SSCLI is build to support freebsd and mac os X, neither of them have the msbuild engine they my guess would be they opted to use perl as build system.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:30 PM
  • As i installed and configured SSCLI. how can i modify code as per my requirements. I unable to get start point to start (how to modify GC logic?).
    Ashutosh Tripathi
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:34 PM
  • The GC code can be found in clr\src\vm\gc*.* ,gcsmp.cpp seems to have the largest chunk of it though.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Hi Ray, Thanks for reply !

I see all files related to gc in vm directory, but how could i modify it with VS 2008. When i make change it in with visual studio i could not found any reflector tool like F12. How i  change and debug it.

It seems hard to me........ :(

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Is there any project file by which i can start edit easily using VS IDE or i should create project. if so then how?
    Ashutosh Tripathi
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:09 PM
  • you might be able to use (File->new->Project from existing source) for easy editing within the VS.NET IDE, but for building / debugging you would still need to use the command line tools.

This is the point where I cannot hold your hand any more, I'm ok with answering a quick question or two, but guiding you though the process of how to modify the SSCLI source and compile/debug/test your changes would require me to invest more time in you then I currently have available, sorry about that. 

This is not a project you can finish in a few afternoons, be prepared to spend months on it, it'll require a good understanding of the CLI Internal structure an understanding what problems it is solving and why it is solving them the way it does. On the bright side of things, Joel Pobar has written an excellent book on the subject that is out of print now, so he's giving it away for free ! Chapter 2 walks you though a typical change/build/test/debug cycle while chapter 9 gives you in an depth look on memory management.

I wish you the best of luck with your project!

• Proposed as answer by eryang Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:47 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Thanks for reply Ray!

Yesterday i create a new project and add files here and start to build now i m trying to build it successfully.

I will post here whenever i get succeed.

:)

Thanks for your wishes.

Ashutosh Tripathi
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:40 PM