Privately deploying SQL Server CE 4.0 binaries with VS plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Are there any tricks for including the SQL Server CE 4.0 binaries with a VS 2010 plugin?  I'm developing a plugin that uses a local database to store program information.  This works fine on my development machine that has SQL Server CE installed, but fails on client machines that don't have it installed.  I've tried doing a private deployment similar to what is described by Erik (I use VSIX instead of an MSI installer) but that doesn't seem to work either.  Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

If you're wanting to take a look at the source, you can visit http://osbide.codeplex.com/.

Thanks,

--Adam Carter

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

I don't think you can do that from a VISX, as you would need to be able to copy the binaries in folder where devenv.exe lives, and that will require admin access. But if you contact me offline, we can find out why it is not working, and maybe make it work anyway! You can contact me via my blog...

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog

• Marked as answer by lucy-liu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:53 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi adamcarter,

The MSDN documents said “The VSIX format uses
    file-based deployment and does not support writing to the Global Assembly Cache
    (GAC) or to the system registry. We recommend that you use VSIX deployment for
    the kinds of extensions that it supports.”

More information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff363239.aspx
    So in this case, I suggest you to use MSI Installer instead of VSIX.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by lucy-liu Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:37 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Hi Adam,

I don't think you can do that from a VISX, as you would need to be able to copy the binaries in folder where devenv.exe lives, and that will require admin access. But if you contact me offline, we can find out why it is not working, and maybe make it work anyway! You can contact me via my blog...

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog

• Marked as answer by lucy-liu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:53 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:40 PM
  • My apologies for not responding earlier to both post.  I thought that I had subscribed to the thread but I guess not.  Anyway, Lucy, with a private deployment, I shouldn't need to write to the GAC, correct?  

And Erik, I'll send you a message shortly.

Thanks,

--Adam

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Lucy, if I were to do an MSI deployment, what binaries would I need to load into the GAC given that SQL Server CE has both x86 and x64 DLLs.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:32 PM