SQL Server 2008 R2 - Event Error ID 28005: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our event viewer has recently been flooded with the following error:

"An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15404, State: 19. Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'SERVERNAME\Administrator', error code 0x54b."

I have seen articles that address this problem (namely, this one: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreplication/thread/db71f793-3f28-4d38-a353-b58e5ed88a8b/ ). I am assuming that the account is being denied permissions for some reason. I checked and it's the assigned db_owner for multiple SharePoint 2010 databases that we have (Managed Metadata Service, Secure Store, Config, Web Analytics...).

Because we are a small organization and only have two servers, SQL is on the DC server. The account in question is the local administrator of the SQL/DC server. Should I just switch the administrator's databases to the domain admin account that is owner of the rest of the them?

Thanks,

-Dave

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

• 0x54b is 1355 decimcal, and NET HELPMSG 1355 says:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Running SQL Server on the domain controller is certainly not recommended.

Since I don't know your total setup, but, yes, I think it is better to use the domain rather than the local machine. Although I am not wholly convinced that it must be the administrator...

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:47 PM

All replies

• 0x54b is 1355 decimcal, and NET HELPMSG 1355 says:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Running SQL Server on the domain controller is certainly not recommended.

Since I don't know your total setup, but, yes, I think it is better to use the domain rather than the local machine. Although I am not wholly convinced that it must be the administrator...

Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Hi Erland,

Thanks for the reply, but however, under a PoC environment, we have just 1 VM and want to have Domain Controller and SQL Server installed in the same VM, any work around for that?

Monday, July 2, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Again, running SQL Server on a domain controller is not recommended. Since I know nothing else about your problem (I assume that Zhan Jin Yang is not related to DallenJ), I can only give you the recommendation to set up a second VM to be the domain controller.

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:23 PM