none
How do I increase drop down option character limit in Microsoft Word 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a form on Word 13 with text input fields and Drop-down list content control. Each option in the drop down list cannot exceed a certain number of characters,is there a way to set the character limit? I have very long values for the options and they get truncated. Just to add, I simply used the content control properties to add the options.

I'm not using any coding or so yet.

Please advice on how can I increase drop down option character limit or set it to unlimited chars? Thanks in advance.

Monday, May 18, 2015 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi bavi10,

>>Please advice on how can I increase drop down option character limit or set it to unlimited chars?

I made a test with drop-down control in Word 2013, and the length of the option is limit. I check the properties of the drop-down control, and there is no way to set the limit length of the drop-down control.

If you want the drop-down control could be filled by more characters, you could write your own control like winform drop-down control, and then add it into the word document.

If this is a feature you want to include in future versions of Word, please submit a feedback as picture below:

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:28 AM
  • Hi bavi

In the older forms technology - form fields - there also existed a limit for the number of characters you could use in a dropdown. The workaround was to trigger a macro when the field was entered that displayed a UserForm (custom dialog box). The controls available for user forms do not have the same limitations as those used for forms on the document surface. You might consider using that approach, see:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/253542
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/formfield_userform_listbox.html

Another possibility would be to use the legacy ActiveX dropdown control on the document surface, but this is often not satisfactory, so you'd want to test thoroughly before deciding to go this route.

Finally, you could go the VSTO route, as Edward suggests, but that would be a pretty steep learning curve if you're not a professional programmer.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:45 PM