none
Upgrade from VS 2010 to VS 2015

Question

• Can I directly upgrade from VS 2010 to VS 2015 and have both available side by side on same machine.I did it last week, but have been facing code migration issues from 2010 to 2015.

I also read, "please also install them in order like from the old version to the new version one by one."

Can you please guide whether I really have to install VS 2010 > 2012 > 2013 and then 2015.

Need your guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi M_Jain,

If you used .Net framework 4.0. in VS 2010, when you upgrade it in VS 2015, does it still target to .Net Framework 4.0?

If not, please make sure that Target Framework is 4.0.

Else, it may related to the project code, in this situation, I suggest you go to the asp.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 3, 2016 2:24 AM

All replies

• To solve code migration issue you can try modifying solution file configuration. Open project solution file in any text pad. 

Then do the following:-

Replace:-

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
    # Visual Studio 2010

with 

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 14.00
    # Visual Studio 2015

and then reload your project.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:16 AM
  • I just changed the solution file as suggested and reloaded the project.

I get below error:

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site
                  Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.            

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

can you please guide.

I do not have VS 2012 and 2013, I have 2010 and 2015.

So do I have to install all missing versions and in sequential manner?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Here is how 2015 solution file looks like:- http://postimg.org/image/tv9ro6tt7/ . 
    And sorry. It is not format version 14.0 but 12.0 and add few more lines.

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00
    # Visual Studio 14
    VisualStudioVersion = 14.0.25123.0
    MinimumVisualStudioVersion = 10.0.40219.1
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hi M_Jain ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Firstly, you could tell us what project type do you want to upgrade? there are differences when upgrading between different projects.

>>Can you please guide whether I really have to install VS 2010 > 2012 > 2013 and then 2015.

I suggest you'd better upgrade the project by following the above order. Before doing so, please do a backup for your project.

Meanwhile, please refer to below article about Porting, Migrating, and Upgrading Visual Studio Projects.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx

If some errors are still exist, please upload the error information to us and we will try to help you solve this.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Thank you Xu.

It is a ASP.Net web application in VB, using .Net framework 4.0.

I referred the steps you mentioned, and I get below error.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.            

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +303

[HttpException (0x80004005): Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9947444
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +261

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:48 AM
  • Hi M_Jain,

If you used .Net framework 4.0. in VS 2010, when you upgrade it in VS 2015, does it still target to .Net Framework 4.0?

If not, please make sure that Target Framework is 4.0.

Else, it may related to the project code, in this situation, I suggest you go to the asp.net forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Friday, June 3, 2016 2:24 AM