none
Can we use containers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are a prototype machine building company, and develop software for PLC's, PC's, robots, cameras,...

For each project, we try to use the most recent development environment version for our applications, so our development laptops are always up-to-date with the latest IDE version.

Over the years, we have implemented dozens of projects in the field. Whenever we have to service such an 'old' project, we can't connect to these 'old' PLC's, robots,... with our current IDE.  Because different versions of the IDE's can't be installed side-by-side, we are required to 'roll back' all our IDE's in time on our development laptop.

Therefore when we finish a project, we create a dedicated windows virtual machine (Oracle VirtualBox) with all IDE's for that project. When in the future we need to service this project, we only need to use this VM.

This method is working okay for us, but as you can imagine, creating a VM for each project generates a lot of overhead (disk usage on server, RAM-usage when running the VM, network bridging,...)

So we were wondering if it would be possible to generate a container for each project instead of a complete VM.

So that when can deploy a container holding the correct IDE's, on our laptops.

I hope that my question makes any sense...

Kind regards,

Thomas.

Friday, September 21, 2018 1:11 PM

All replies

• Containers do not expose UI, so not sure if what you are describing will fit into that requirement or not. 
    Friday, September 21, 2018 7:09 PM
  • You have to restructure few things 

- All prototypes projects source code should be parked in Visual studio team services (VSTS) online or you can say TFS online. Source code should be kept in some repository. 

- I will suggest to build some IDE specific VMs in Azure and keep them shut down when not used. You will need to maintain your inventory list of prototyped projects, TFS location and IDE VM name so that you can pull up those projects any time by turning ON VM and getting to source code through IDE/TFS etc. 

- Containers are to run components as stand alone like a window service or a web app. You can not run a windows form UI or IDEs etc. 

I will suggest you to make a free login at portal.azure.com (Azure) and my.visualstudio.com (VSTS) and explore the setup as I mentioned. You will have some free credits to try it out. There are pricing calculators for most of the needs to determine the cost per month. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Moonis Tahir......MVP SharePoint, DevOps, Docker, Cloud Solution Architect, MCPD.net, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk,SQL Server, KendoUI, HTML5, Web Api, ASP.net MVC

• Edited by Moonis Tahir Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:32 PM updated
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:31 PM