:Hard to identify which one is better in Multiple Language to choose Unicode or Culture RRS feed

• Question

• User-1939249872 posted

:Hard to identify which one is better in Multiple Language to choose Unicode or Culture. 

I'm hoping suggesstion from all. 

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:31 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Could you rephrase ? Some context would help as "Unicode" or "Culture" are basically unrelated...

Are you talking about which unicode encoding to use for your web site ? If you are using mostly latin based characters, using utf-8 is likely better.

For the culture, support whatever you want. You could for example for your own national language + en-us as a default for others and add support for other languages as they are needed.

Else give some more context as having unicode or culture without any explanation of your issue doesn't make your question very clear...

Monday, February 10, 2014 7:46 AM
  • User-1939249872 posted

Actually, I want multiple languages in my quiz application unfortunately there are so many languages. I'm success to use unicode where i can use many more languages through converter. but culture supports auto conversion into specified languages after selection. i use banner and text advertisements for my quiz websites. these ads does not supports unicode contents as a result i need to use culture. Unfortunately i'm unable to work with culture.

While i've try to change culture English us doesn't change in nepali language. hindi as i needed. There are so many languages in india around 45 appx and korean, herbew, french, russian etc. there are so many languages which are not supported by culture.

What would be the solution of this problem?

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:41 PM
  • User753101303 posted

these ads does not supports unicode contents as a result i need to use culture.

It seems irrelevent. Unicode is way to note most if not all characters that could exists in different languages. The culture is which settings are used for the calendar, number, currency formatting and is eventually used to fetch resources. It's not one or the other. You usually use both.

Try to narrow down your issue. You can create custom culture: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172469(v=vs.90).aspx

I understand that some cultures could be not supported in India but you talk about also about Hebrew, Russian, Korean or French which is supported by the available .NET Framework cultures.

Ah by reading it almost look like if you expected that changing to another culture would automatically translate your content ??? This is not how it works.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:29 AM
  • User-1939249872 posted

curlture is not for Languages ? I think it changes into like google translator ....

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:53 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Culture is a language but defines how numbers, dates, calendars etc... are used. It is also used to load "resources" (for example the "Welcome" message translated in whatever language you are using).

But this translation is not done automatically for you. It has been done earlier and it is just loaded for you as needed depending on the current language.

You could still a translation API or Google that allows to automatically translate a page. Not sure as if the translation is noit good enough your users could be reluctant to use your site. Try perhaps to focus on some known languages.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:09 PM
  • User-1939249872 posted

ok thank you.

still problem remains. How to give customers one thing in multiple local languages like with following features:-

I've defaultly english language content.

I've to give customers more than 20 languages. existing content should be converted into chinese or Nepali or fresh or spanish in accordance with their language selection.

how to do it...

any way thank you so much

Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:01 AM
  • User753101303 posted

So you could try https://translate.google.com/manager/website/ : I believe this is something I saw where your site is shown in an iframe and automatically translated for you.

Else you could use a translation API such as https://developers.google.com/translate/ or http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/using-the-free-bing-translation-apis (for example if you want some automated translation but perhaps store the value on your side and having possibly some humans enhancing the default translation).

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:40 AM
  • User-1939249872 posted

but It doesn't give accurate data for all components.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:11 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Have you given a look at those option. What is the blocking point ? Basically you'll just send a string in a particular language and the service will return its translation in  particular language.

I have no idea about how you want to proceed but I would likely keep those responses in a db to avoid calling this service again and again and it allows also to replace the value stored in the db if you can provide a better translation than the one you got with an automatic translator.

It should be quite well explained at those sites so it's lkikely best to do some work on this and ask again if you hit a problem rather than to wait for someone to provide the full code for what you want...

Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:11 AM