none
CRITICAL BUG - Excel 2016 Save As Macro Enabled when using OneDrive doesn't save - no error just DATA LOSS!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think this is similar to the issue reported in September here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/132a75f1-9e50-42c8-b016-993b0bae90a9/bug-in-excel-2016-save-as-if-activated-via-f12-keyboard?forum=exceldev

I am using Excel 2016 (Professional Plus 2016 Version 1703 Build 7967.2161) on Windows 10 Pro with both Office 365 home edition OneDrive and OneDrive for Business that comes with MSDN Enterprise.

I have lost a signicant amount of work due to a bug where Excel doesn't save to disk or OneDrive but also doesn't report an error. Hence, despite thinking I was saving my work, when I opened my speadsheet again, no changes had been saved.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new Excel file and save it to OneDrive (I selected a local folder that is Sync'd to OneDrive).
    2. Record a simple Macro. Edit the macro and click save - you will be prompted with the message saying that "The following features cannot be saved in a macro-free workbooks: VB project". Click No
    3. In the resulting dialog box, select "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook" in the "Save as type" drop-down to create a new xlsm file in the same location as step 1.
    4. Now choose Save As, navigate to the location in Step 1 and select the xlsm file - you will be prompted with a message saying the file already exists - Do you want to replace it? Click Yes.
    5. From this point on... NO DATA IS BEING SAVED!!!!!!!

This is a bug with both OneDrive for Business and OneDrive on Office 365 Home. 

This is not a bug when working on local folder that isn't sync'd with OneDrive. Also this is not a bug when using DropBox folders.

N.B. If following the above steps without creating a Macro (step 2) then after step 4 you get a message saying that "Microsoft Excel cannot access the file ... There are several possible reasons: .... The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as the currently open workbook" which prevents the save completing. 

I have reproduced on my Father's PC - totally separate hardware, Office accounts, OneDrive accounts etc...

This is a serious bug. The company I work at is in the middle of moving to Office 365 and this bug gives me concern. 

• Edited by henrywardy Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:39 PM
    Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:37 PM