Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?

General discussion

• Hello,

I am planning to make a new metro app but confused between Windows 8 and 8.1.

what is the right choice:

1>To build app for windows 8 and than retarget for Windows 8.1 or

2>Directly build app for Windows 8.1.

Thinking of option 2 because 8.1 has new apis and controls, but afraid that Windows 8 users will not enjoy my app.

So what to do such that both Windows 8 and 8.1 users can enjoy my app.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:17 AM

All replies

• not easy anwsering. i think if you really want to support WIndows 8 users you have to go for the first option. but its nicer to go with the second; but very hard to downgrade your app from there to WIndows 8.0 again.

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:57 AM
  • You can fork your build and upload both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 versions of the app to the store. Users will get the most appropriate. This allows Windows 8.1 users to get the best functionality, but Window 8 users can still run the old version.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:15 PM
    Owner
  • (note: Microsoft employee, but speaking for myself as a hobby programmer)

What do we know about people still using Windows 8?

1. Despite a free update in the store -- an update that's been very well received and reviewed -- they haven't installed the update.  IMHO, these are people that aren't going to download any other app. (At a previous place of employment, we knew that people download and purchase a lot more apps in the first 6 months of getting a new computer than any other time; there are a lot of people with 'old' computers, but they bought radically fewer apps than anyone else)

2. It's a dwindling market.  Windows 8 is never going to be a bigger market than it is right now.

My own apps (Best Calculator and Best Dictionary) are now 8.1 only; they got a big bump since the release of 8.1 (even though 8.1 already has a nice metro calculator).  I can't speak for anyone else's apps, of course :-)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot to all for your suggestion. I am going with option 1 because I cannot ignore windows 8 users.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 11:45 AM