none
Limit of receive locations watching single remote share folder using BizTalk 2006 File Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on biztalk solution where there is requirment where around 50 receive port polling to single remote share folder.

How can i configure to consume relevent files for each receive port.

Also please advise would there be any performance issue in this scenario.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:24 AM

Answers

• Sandeep,

When an orchestration is going into dehydrated state it is a process of serializing the state of an orchestration into a SQL Server. Take a look at this for a better explanation. To answer your concern, this should not be a problem even if the underlying system is down for a prolonged period. You will have to a call by getting the details of the SLA of your SAP system, if its like it can down for days,  which i think is totally out of question for a production system, you might have to stop the running orchestrations and then start them once the system comes online. In production terms this is called a system outage and is best handled by administrative options rather than trying to program for it.

Cheers,

Bali

--------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:47 AM

All replies

• You can configure multiple receive locations from a single folder only if the the file masks are different.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi Bali,

Thanks for your reply.

Would there be any performance issue or any other issue reported if more than 50 receive logical ports polling to same remote share folder..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:26 AM
  • It shouldn't be a performance issue as such, but that will surely depend on the number of files and size of files. 
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hi Bali,

In my project there are orchestration for every receive location, but polling the same folder.

And if i use file mask the receive location will pick there relevant files from share folder.

So will there be any issue. Number of files i expect in a folder would be around 300000(3 lakh) files a day and size vary from 1KB to 50 MB.

Pls Advise..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

It should not be a problem, however I would suggest do test the solution properly for getting a better picture before you hit production.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Thanks Bali for your advise..wil check in quality first.

By the way how many files biztalk can process without any error. I am little worried by the figure 300000(3 lakh) files

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 AM
  • BizTalk has a robust throttling mechanism and surely it can process all without an error, but yes the time taken to processing of this files might vary depending on the situation.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi bali,

Thanks for your advise.

Lastly, as a good practice is there any kind of error handling i should incorporate when fetching data from SAP in the orchestration.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

You can use the inbuilt ESB exception handling if you go with ESB or you can also use your own custom handling mechanism to generated errors and inform appropriate personal. Let me know any specifiec you looking for.

Thanks... SPN
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Hi SPN,

Thanks for your reply.

I am concerned if SAP port is not reachable or some SAP port error. Also in my scenarion there is dumping of xml's at receive locations at regular interval and it is of large in number.

So for every instance of input xml orchestration instance will shoot that many emails to concerened person.

How can i do exception handling in this case.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:38 AM
  • You can handle the not reachable scenario by just using the retry mechanism after a set interval.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by DPS Bali Friday, August 26, 2011 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Hi Bali,

Thanks for your reply..

So suppose in scenario when SAP is not available or down the SAP port can be configured to retry on port.

So i take scenario that 50 files biztalk try to send to SAP then according to SAP port setting it will retry after specified period of time.

But suppose SAP is down for long duration, then files will be pilling up and retry after specifed time.

Will this going any issue in BizTalk.

Also i tried rery interval for SAP port in development server but when i sorted with SAP port i see message again retrying at SAP port and going to SAP but i see orchestration is going to dehydrated state.,

What should i do for such orchestrations and why orchestration are going to dehydrated state.

Pls advise

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Sandeep,

When an orchestration is going into dehydrated state it is a process of serializing the state of an orchestration into a SQL Server. Take a look at this for a better explanation. To answer your concern, this should not be a problem even if the underlying system is down for a prolonged period. You will have to a call by getting the details of the SLA of your SAP system, if its like it can down for days,  which i think is totally out of question for a production system, you might have to stop the running orchestrations and then start them once the system comes online. In production terms this is called a system outage and is best handled by administrative options rather than trying to program for it.

Cheers,

Bali

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:47 AM