none
Are instrumented client apps considered nodes? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF client app that connects to server-side WCF services. The WPF app is generating Page View Telemetry and Event Telemetry.

Under the Enterprise plan are the client machines running my WPF app going to be considered nodes? And in turn incur a $15 a month charge for each client?

According to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/application-insights/ - A “node” is a server or Platform-as-a-Service instance that runs your application, and from which we receive telemetry.

My concern is that they are generating telemetry. However, they are not running on a server so I "think" I'm not going to incur a charge for them, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeremy,

The best way to check whether your WPF client app is being detected as nodes is to look at the "Features + pricing" blade in the Azure portal for this App Insights resource. This will report the number of nodes detected.  Whether a WPF client app will count as a node depends on the SDK and version you are using. This is discussed at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-pricing

If you are looking at the Enterprise plan for this because you use Continuous Export, note that as of 2 weeks ago, Continuous Export is available as an option in the Basic plan. You can see this by looking at the Features + pricing blade for your App Insights resource. Using the Basic plan in this case will give you the piece-of-mind that you won't get billed for thousands of clients who could be reported as nodes for billing purposes.

Please let me know if you have any other App Insights pricing questions.

Thanks

Dale

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:28 PM

All replies

• I also have the same question relating to Windows Desktop Applications in general where the desktop application is instrumented to make calls to the Application Insights instance.  We have hundreds of thousands of users of our desktop applications and if one desktop application is considered a node we will not be able to afford Application Insights  @ $15/node/month.  We also would not be able to use a Basic Plan because we need the Continuous Export feature and more then 1 GB/month.

Eric Crouthamel

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Hello,

Unless the application is running on a server the node calculation doesn't apply. For client side apps running inside browser or otherwise are not counted as a node and will be limited by the total data limit for the plan.

Working with right owners to get this explicitly mentioned in our documentation.

Thanks!

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Please look at the answer above. Should apply to desktop applications as well.
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Whether a desktop app is reported as a node depends on the details of what SDK/version you are using. This is discussed in detail at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-pricing

However, as of 2 weeks ago, Continuous Export is available as an option in the Basic plan. You can see this by looking at the Features + pricing blade for your App Insights resource.

(And note that the Basic plan is not limited to 1 GB per month. The 1 GB is free, and after that you pay by GB of data.)

Thanks

Dale

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:24 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

The best way to check whether your WPF client app is being detected as nodes is to look at the "Features + pricing" blade in the Azure portal for this App Insights resource. This will report the number of nodes detected.  Whether a WPF client app will count as a node depends on the SDK and version you are using. This is discussed at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-pricing

If you are looking at the Enterprise plan for this because you use Continuous Export, note that as of 2 weeks ago, Continuous Export is available as an option in the Basic plan. You can see this by looking at the Features + pricing blade for your App Insights resource. Using the Basic plan in this case will give you the piece-of-mind that you won't get billed for thousands of clients who could be reported as nodes for billing purposes.

Thanks

Dale

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:28 PM