none
Printing error (0x80070003) for 8 page report RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Asp.Net web application which is using a local (RDLC) report to print a barcode report. We are using the VS2008 web version of the report viewer control. When we print several pages, say 8, only the first few get printed then we get the error "An error occurred during printing. (0x80070003)"

Any ideas what may cause this? We can reliably reproduce this on bandwidth constrained networks.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• The problem was the executionTimeout was being reached due to the bandwidth restriction. The request would timeout and the report would look for data it had not gotten. 
    • Marked as answer by Jon Dalberg Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:57 AM

All replies

• The error code indicates a file not found error.  The print control will temporarily save report pages to the user's temp directory because they can be large (and there can be a lot of pages to print).  Do you see temporary files being created when you print or print preview the report?

Friday, April 2, 2010 9:32 PM
  • I haven't noticed that before. So I should check on the client's machine for the temporary files?

I'm curious, could that be happening due to an HTTP timeout? The clients that are experiencing the problem are on a bandwidth constrained network. We have no problems for clients with a "fat pipe" - like HQ or some bigger sites. However, most of the other sites (for whatever reason) have much less bandwith. At HQ, everything works fine even for 20 page prints. However, the smaller sites can't print more than 7 or 8 before getting the error. My thought is that I could increase the HTTP timeout to allow for the restricted bandwidth. Does that sound reasonable?

Monday, April 5, 2010 5:50 PM
  • The problem was the executionTimeout was being reached due to the bandwidth restriction. The request would timeout and the report would look for data it had not gotten. 
    • Marked as answer by Jon Dalberg Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:57 AM
  • This did turn out to be the problem. When we increased the execution timeout the reports would print completely even over a low bandwidth connection. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:13 PM