CDONTS in IIS6 not sending mail RRS feed

• Question

• User-71469037 posted
    I have setup CDONTS in IIS6 on Windows 2003 Server. I have configured the virutal SMTP server to use an external SMTP server (a remote GroupWise SMTP server). When attempting to call the .asp page that sends the mail I get no errors and a .eml file is placed in \mailroot\Pickup. The email never gets sent. When I open the .eml file there are no errors in the email itself, it looks normal. I had this working great on Windows 2000 Server, but have run into this problem with Windows Server 2003 and IIS6. Your suggestions would be extremely appreciated!!!!
    Tuesday, August 31, 2004 4:17 PM

All replies

• User989702501 posted
    a) how do you configure smtp to groupwise smtp ? smart host ? b) have you register the dll correctly in w2k3 ? c) anything in event log ? d) skip coding, test it with this first XFOR: How to Test Outbound Mail Flow With a File in the Pickup Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297700 if smtp working correct, the mail will be send. if not check event log and make sure smtp svr able to resolve the dns mx record, either via upd / tcp port 53.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2004 2:41 AM
  • User-71469037 posted
    Here are my answers to your questions: a) how do you configure smtp to groupwise smtp ? smart host ? In the IIS Manager I went to my Virtual SMTP Server's properties, Delivery, Advanced and under the label 'Fully-qualified domain name' I entered the GroupWise SMTP Server Name. On the Windows 2000 Server this worked! I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why this is not working in Windows 2003 Advanced Server. b) have you register the dll correctly in w2k3 ? Yes, I have copied over the cdonts.dll file from the Windows 2000 Server and placed it in \System32. I have also registered it with regsvr32. It seems to have been registered correctly since I can load .asp pages that use it without getting any object not found errors. c) anything in event log ? Everything is clean in the Event Log, which makes troubleshooting this problem that much harder. d) skip coding, test it with this first XFOR: How to Test Outbound Mail Flow With a File in the Pickup Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297700 This works fine on the Windows 2000 Server I've configured, but does not work on Windows 2003 Server using the same configuration. I noticed there is a POP3 service in Windows 2003 Server, do I have to do something there? Why is this not working in Windows 2003 Server? ...Help
    Wednesday, September 1, 2004 12:34 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    a) from what you mentioned, this is setting the FQDN name, has nothing to do with smart host or forwarding. if you need mail forwarding, you specify the groupwise host name at the smart host input box. try this format [ip.ip.ip.ip] b) ok. c) ok. d) ok. so the mail stuck in pickup or queue or badmail folder ? I'm sure if it's stuck there, you will get a event log entry at least. next, enable smtp logging and see you could find anything in the log file. skip pop3, it's two different protocol, it should work even pop3 is not working.
    Thursday, September 2, 2004 12:32 AM
  • User-599719271 posted
    whoah, guys. noone mentioned CDONTS is deprecated and not included in Win2003/IIS 6.0? OP: did you nab the DLL from another machine? forget it. just use CDO.Message
    Thursday, September 2, 2004 3:36 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Ya, but I think OP wish to use CDONTS.
    Sunday, September 5, 2004 10:18 PM
  • User-599719271 posted
    then I lose any respect for the OP I may have had. it's deprecated. dead technology. get over it already.
    Monday, September 6, 2004 3:33 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    haha :) Now, digitaldoom, try this. How To Migrate the Collaboration Data Objects for NTS Applications to Microsoft Collaboration Data Objects for Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810702
    Monday, September 6, 2004 3:58 AM
  • User-71469037 posted
    Ok switching to CDOSYS doesn't seem to bad. It doesn't seem really any much difficult to use than CDONTS. My problem is that even using CDOSYS, the email never gets sent. I test the same code on our Windows 2000 Server and it works great. I named the SMTP server MaxtrixSMTP and set it to log to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\MatrixSMTP There are no logs in this directory. There are logs in the Event Viewer that would indicate any SMTP error. And of several code examples, none produce an error and all of them work on the Windows 2000 Server. Can anyone help!?!?!?! Plzz.....
    Monday, October 4, 2004 6:05 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    I posted this before, have you try ???/ XFOR: How to Test Outbound Mail Flow With a File in the Pickup Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297700 what's the event id ? 4000 ? if yes, do the smtp box able to use tcp 53 for dns query?
    Monday, October 4, 2004 11:24 PM
  • User-71469037 posted
    Yes I completed this: XFOR: How to Test Outbound Mail Flow With a File in the Pickup Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297700 I get two Event ID's from SMTPSVC: 507 = Virtual Server 2: Default domain is set to ___________. and 4005 = Time spent on preparing to reset routes: [0] milliseconds Time spent on recalculating next hops: [0] milliseconds Queue length : [1] The email still not sent. I set the SMTP Server to use a Logfile, yet the log file is empty... The email sits in \mailroot\Drop and never goes anywhere. This is a very hard thing to troubleshoot because I really haven't seen an error that actually tells me what is going wrong. Those Event ID messages don't even look like errors to me. I can't read any error in any log file either (as mentioned above). I wish I knew why the exact same settings in Windows 2000 Server work, but FAIL in Windows Server 2003. This doesn't seem to make sense. Heeelllllpppp..... This is all I need to configure before moving this server to Production...
    Thursday, October 7, 2004 12:33 PM
  • User-71469037 posted
    Ok looks like I had it logging in the wrong directory. I just successfully configured SMTP logging. I analyzed the logs from the two servers and I now have a clue. In the SMTP log on the correctly configured server I see the TCP/IP address of the real SMTP server I am relaying to. I also see correct SMTP messages, 'EHLO, MAIL, RCPT' etc. In the SMTP log on the server that is not working I only see 127.0.0.1 for TCP/IP and I don't see the SMTP messages. In the Virtual SMTP Server properties there is only difference: Under Delivery/Advanced the smart host for the Windows 2000 Server is X.X.X.X, while in Windows Server 2003 it would only take a [X.X.X.X] address. It doesn't look like Windows Server 2003 is relaying to the correct SMTP Server. It seems like it's just trying to relay through itself (127.0.0.1). Any idea's how to fix this?
    Thursday, October 7, 2004 12:47 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    Are you configure smarthost in the smtp server ? if yes where it is it ? did you specify in this format [x.x.x.x], do the remote server allow you to relay ?
    Friday, October 8, 2004 1:12 AM