none
Hyper-V NIC Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Group,

Not sure where to ask this... and how in explaining the question. But here goes.

I would like to configure a host machine NIC to be usable only by the guest VM. what i mean is I intend to use a NIC as internet only available to the guest OS, but not available to the host machine.

I have configured Hyper-V system and guest OS before, and aware of configuring NIC for guest os availability.

Basically when the Hyper-V feature is installed and once a guest OS is setup, it utilizes the NIC and converts it to Virtual NIC, however also assigns the internal network IP configuration to it (for informational sake: 192.168.3.4), however, i would like that IP not available to the HOST system, is there a way to setup the IP so that the HOST system would not utilize this NIC at all but made available to the guest OS system as an external IP (ISP IP)?

Meaning if i have ISP IP of 68.69.69.69, i would be able to configure the guest OS with this IP so that the guest OS is basically facing the internet?

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:43 PM

Answers

• Group... that worked.

I had configured static ISP IPs to the guest OS and still connected directly to CIDR block and disabled the protocols from the HOST OS VM NIC config.

Just FYI.

• Marked as answer by RoninB Monday, September 24, 2012 4:14 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 4:14 PM

All replies

• Group,

Upon thinking of the configuration... i could probably disable the protocol binding (TCP/IP, etc...) in the HOST configuration, but will try when I get a chance to try this out. I am away from the machine and was just curious if someone else had done this.

Thanks again for looking.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Group... that worked.

I had configured static ISP IPs to the guest OS and still connected directly to CIDR block and disabled the protocols from the HOST OS VM NIC config.

Just FYI.

• Marked as answer by RoninB Monday, September 24, 2012 4:14 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 4:14 PM