Renewing/upgrading Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Today I got a Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN Subscription from Microsoft, as a prize from a competition where Microsoft was one of the sponsors. Would this be eligible to upgrade to Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate for free (as I have no desire to use an older version or spend thousands to an upgrade)? This is a brand new licence, acquired after Visual Studio 2012 was published.

I guess I will find it out within the next 36 hours according to the activation message, but maybe someone can glue me in to the latest MSDN Subscriber policies. :)

Sudet ulvovat -- karavaani kulkee

• Edited by Veikko Eeva Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:07 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:03 PM

Answers

• Veksi,

Congrats on the victory!

I'm not 100% sure because those competitions aren't run by our team, but I believe that the chances are pretty good that the MSDN Subscription you got will include downloads for VS 2012.    As far as I know, every subscription level that includes Visual Studio today has access to VS 2012, so you should fall into that as well.

write back when it goes through, ok?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Marked as answer by Veikko Eeva Monday, January 14, 2013 6:51 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:21 PM

All replies

• Veksi,

Congrats on the victory!

I'm not 100% sure because those competitions aren't run by our team, but I believe that the chances are pretty good that the MSDN Subscription you got will include downloads for VS 2012.    As far as I know, every subscription level that includes Visual Studio today has access to VS 2012, so you should fall into that as well.

write back when it goes through, ok?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by Veikko Eeva Monday, January 14, 2013 6:51 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Hi, Mike!

Sure, I'll write the forum to know. :) I started to wonder a bit, since I guess it was somewhat in the spirit of the competition to provide people with the 2012 licenes, but the official product launch was a few months later than the original competition schedule would allow.

Now it looks like my Subscription Activation application is somewhere in the process as the original 36 hours has expired, as too does within a few hours the 72 limit that was there before. That means I can't get a hold on the MSDN subscriber ID. In the case this isn't due to weekends and such, who should I contact to inquire my registration status? It could be I wrote a bit too lightly on those questions on the origins of the license, for instance. Then I also submitted the activation to my Live ID account, which holds activations from my previous employers as well as an active one from my current employer. But I think this shouldn't matter.

• Edited by Veikko Eeva Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:38 PM A typo: should -> shouldn''t in the last sentence.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hi again, Mike!

I'm pleased to write that my subscription ID finally arrived and indeed, it includes VS 2012 licenses. Only some hours/days laters than I anticipated. It looks like I'm somewhat impatient and can't wait before getting to crank out projects. :-)

Cheers and thanks for the note!

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Glad to hear that Veksi!  In the future, there are a few different paths to ask questions and seek help.  I'd point you to MSDN Customer Service for specific Account issues, you can find their contact information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx.  You can so try our Online Concierge service (look for a "Chat Now" button on your My Account page), or you can post more questions here.   I have probably the most experience of all of the options, however I do broader customer issues, and I don't have access to customer account info or billing info, so I can't help with very specific issues with your account (for that, you need to talk to customer service).  

Impatience is good, get on it! :)  Feel free to let us know what we could do to make things better.

Cheers,
    Mike

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:37 PM