HTML Client App published to Azure Website, but no database changes made RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have published a VS LS HTML Client project up to an Azure web site according to

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2012/06/07/publishing-lightswitch-apps-to-azure-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx#securingYourApplication

and

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2090864

According to VS, the publish was successful i.e no errors. When we browse to the web site, it displays the home page of the app (i.e. page header etc), but, we get an error in the body of the page: 'An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details.'

Upon examining the SQL Database on the Azure web site via SQL Server Management studio, it shows that none of the SQL tables have been created.

We have added our IP address to the Azure web site.

I noticed that during publishing, for the 'Security Settings' section, there was only the 'HTTPS' tab page, and NOT the 'Application Administration' or 'Digital Signature' tab pages as seen in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2012/06/07/publishing-lightswitch-apps-to-azure-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx#securingYourApplication. I am not sure if we are to dismiss that fact or not!

Any suggestions please?

Please excuse the lack of links in this post, MSDN keeps telling me that I cannot use links until the account is verified. Thank you.

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:45 AM

Answers

• Thanks Justin.

Yes, the connection strings are pointing to the SQL Azure database.

We updated the SQL Azure database with the correct table definitions etc using SQL scripts, and the app now works once published. Thanks again for your help.

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:16 AM

All replies

• Are you sure that when you published that the connection string is pointing to the SQL Azure database instead of another database? The user connection string is the connection string that will be used by the application once it is running. The publish connection string is only used by Visual Studio to apply the database changes while publishing.

The "Application Administrator" tab on the "Security Settings" page only shows if you have authentication enabled for the application. The "Digital Signature" tab on the "Security Settings" page is only available for Silverlight clients, so it's not applicable to your project. The article is from June 2012, long before the HTML client was released so it's only going to have information about LightSwitch v2 projects.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Thanks Justin.

Yes, the connection strings are pointing to the SQL Azure database.

We updated the SQL Azure database with the correct table definitions etc using SQL scripts, and the app now works once published. Thanks again for your help.

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:16 AM