Problem with Expression Design Startup Launch RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with launching Expression Design that I hope someone can help me with.

I have Expression Studio 1.0.  I have loaded it onto my Dell 8200 laptop with Windows XP Pro, SP3 with all of the latest updates.  The other Studio elements seem to work fine (Blend, Web, Media), but Design will not open.  When I try to launch the program, it opens partially, giving me the title bar and about 2/3 of a gray page.  I can close the program, or switch to other windows, so the computer is not freezing up. 

When I start the computer in safe mode, the program DOES open properly. 

I tried to follow the suggestion of another thread and I ran MSCONFIG and unchecked the "Load Startup Items" and "Load System Services".  When I restarted Windows, Design still did not open.

I upgraded to Design SP1 and it did not help.

I also tried to uninstall and reinstall; still no luck.

I have spent hours searching the web and I could not find any information on this, or any reference to someone else experiencing the same problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?           

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:27 PM

Answers

• Bob,

The fact that it opens in Safe Mode but not when you use the MSCONFIG tool to boot the machine into Selective or Diagnostic startup mode tells me that it might be driver related. I would suspect the video driver at first.

Expression Design 1.0 also loads custom color profile that the video card might have loaded to the operating system.

Here are some things we can do to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable custom color profile(s) from loading - To check, right click on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > Color Management tab. If a color profile exists, remove it and try launching Expression Design again.

2. Reduce and disable hardware acceleration - Right click on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > Troubleshooting tab and moved the Hardware Acceleration slider from its original maximum postition to the lowest possible. Then try launching Expression Design again.

If neither of these options help the launch of Design, please answer the following questions:

1. Who is the manufacturer of your video card? You can usually find out by going to the Device Manager and look under the Display Adapter

2. What is the version of the driver your video card is using? To check, in Device Manager, look under Display Adapter, right click the card that's listed, click Properties, then click the Driver tab. The version should be listed.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:05 PM

All replies

• Bob,

The fact that it opens in Safe Mode but not when you use the MSCONFIG tool to boot the machine into Selective or Diagnostic startup mode tells me that it might be driver related. I would suspect the video driver at first.

Expression Design 1.0 also loads custom color profile that the video card might have loaded to the operating system.

Here are some things we can do to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable custom color profile(s) from loading - To check, right click on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > Color Management tab. If a color profile exists, remove it and try launching Expression Design again.

2. Reduce and disable hardware acceleration - Right click on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button > Troubleshooting tab and moved the Hardware Acceleration slider from its original maximum postition to the lowest possible. Then try launching Expression Design again.

If neither of these options help the launch of Design, please answer the following questions:

1. Who is the manufacturer of your video card? You can usually find out by going to the Device Manager and look under the Display Adapter

2. What is the version of the driver your video card is using? To check, in Device Manager, look under Display Adapter, right click the card that's listed, click Properties, then click the Driver tab. The version should be listed.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Hi Will,

Thank you for your fast and thorough reply.

I have checked the custom color profile, and there was none set.

However, for the hardware acceleration, it was set to "full".  I changed this to "none" as suggested, and Expression Design launched without any problem.  I didn't have time to do much testing with it tonight, but everything seems to be working. 

Should I leave the acceleration set to "none"?  Will there be any adverse affect on other programs, or on the system in general?

The video card in the laptop is the Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go, and it looks like the driver version is 7.7.3.7

Thanks again for your help!

Bob 

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Bob,

Before you leave the hardware acceleration at None, check the NVidia site for an update for your video card. I tried to check for you but all I could find was a ForceWare update dated 2006 (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us).

You can also check Windows Update and look at the Custom Update options instead of the Express updates. Hardware updates live in the custom updates. If there is an updated driver for your video card, it may be listed.

If you determine that no driver update is available, then you might try uninstalling and reinstalling your driver from the device manager.

Please let me know if you run into problems with the uninstall and reinstall of the drivers.

Will
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:33 PM