Avoid windows authentication in iFrame RRS feed

• Question

• User-1738366002 posted

Hi,

I have 2 web applications (sub domains) hosted in 2 different servers, both are windows authenticated.

First application (abc.domain.com)  calls second application (xyz.domain.com) through iFrame. When abc.domain.com is loaded by internet users, it asks for windows credentials. Upon successful login, when the page with iFrame is clicked, the authentication pop-up appears again.

Can anyone suggest a way to avoid the second pop-up. 

Thanks in advance.

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:04 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Can anyone suggest a way to avoid the second pop-up.

I'm not sure if it is possible.  Keep in mind that question is not really an ASP.NET support question.  It's more related to network admin support.

The authentication is transparent and handled by the browser if the users are in the same domain as the web server.  At least in the case of IE which knows how to handle Windows Authentication.  Other browser might require configuration to use Windows Authentication.  The browser prompts for a login when users are not in the same domain.  It's just the way browser work and Windows Authentication works.

iFrames are a way to combine two sites in a single page.  The browser will show two prompts because there are two different source domains.  The browser must authenticate with both domains. 

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:22 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

This is likely difficult. IMO a forum such as https://forums.iis.net/ if not a Windows network or security admin would be better. Do you know if NTLM or Kerberos is used ?

With NTLM I believe that Windows authentication is SSO between the Windows session and EACH site. Kerberos is more sophisticated but I don't know luch about that.

Depending on the purpise you could perhaps implement you could perhaps roll your own mechanism? This iframe allows to show what ?

Edit: I noticed once a "realm" feature but I'm not sure if it goes up to being able to log to a "realm" spread on mutliple servers ???

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:52 AM