none
BUG: ATL Implement Interface Wizard always prompt error? RRS feed

• Question

• I was struding guide in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941475(v=office.14).aspx.

But vs2013 always prompt error by ATL Implement Interface Dialog.Can Any body help me? Thankyou very much!

Because of 

• Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

I can't insert that error image.

The error message:

----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    An error occurred while setting the error info.
    OK   
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Error in OnFinish: Failed to return new Code Element. Possibly syntax error. New Element Name: _IDTExtensibility2
    OK   

• Edited by zsmj01 Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:29 AM
    • Moved by Jane Wang - MSFT Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:13 AM

Answers

• Hello zsmj01,

Please try to install Update 1 for Visual Studio 2013 and then let me know whether it helps.

• Marked as answer by zsmj01 Friday, January 24, 2014 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

This forum is mainly to discuss and ask questions about Visual Studio Extensibility (VSX), using the Extension Manager, building VSIX containers for deployment, the Visual Studio SDK, Text Templates (T4), add-ins, macros, and more.

I will merge the duplicated threads into one (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/00946d1f-e323-4c40-881f-6e48512f6385/bug-atl-implement-interface-wizard-always-prompt-error?forum=vcgeneral ) on Visual C++  for better organization.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jane.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

According to the link you mentioned above http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941475(v=office.14).aspx ,this issue is much about Outlook Development.

I will move this case to Outlook for Developers  for better response.

Sincerely,

Jane.

EDIT:

In addition,please check the suggestions in the following links to fix this issue:

IRibbonExtensibility integration issue for unmanaged AddIn

IRibbonExtensibility in unmanaged C++

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

From the guide you provide, I find you are building a C++ Add-in for Outlook 2010. But in which step you get this error message?

In addition, I find this reference is written in 2010 for Microsoft Office 2010 and Visual Studio 2010. I suggest you using Visual Studio 2010 to follow this guide. What’s the version of your Office?

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi zsmj01,

You need to Verify your account to be able to attach pictures.

What error do you get? Could you please the issue in details?

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Hi zsmj01,

You need to Verify your account to be able to attach pictures.

What error do you get? Could you please the issue in details?

Hello, Eugene Astafiev.

The error image:

Monday, January 20, 2014 1:19 AM
  • Hello zsmj01,

It looks like you need to correct the name of interface you are going to implement - IDTExtensibility2 (remove the underline symbol).

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Hello zsmj01,

It looks like you need to correct the name of interface you are going to implement - IDTExtensibility2 (remove the underline symbol).

Thanks reply.

The underline symbol of _IDTExtensibility2 can't be remove.

And the Implement Interface Wizard of vs2008 is correctly to use.

The vs2008 also use _IDTExtensibility2.
    • Edited by zsmj01 Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:31 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:04 AM
  • Hello zsmj01,

Please try to install Update 1 for Visual Studio 2013 and then let me know whether it helps.

• Marked as answer by zsmj01 Friday, January 24, 2014 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hello zsmj01,

Thank you so very much.

Can you tell me how do you solve it?

• Edited by zsmj01 Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:32 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 1:31 AM
  • Hello zsmj01,

Can you tell me how do you solve it ?
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:33 AM
  • Hello zsmj01,

I am an independent developer, not a Microsoft employee. I'd recommend reading what's new instead.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Was there a definitive answer to this? I am experiencing the same issue on VS 2013, Update 2. I have tried closing and re-opening VS 2013, restarting the box, and running as Administrator, all to no avail.

It does not seem to matter what interface I try to implement, nor from what type library. In all cases, the Implement Interface Wizard fails with the same error.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:25 PM
  • I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problem, running on Visual Studio 2013 Pro Update 3, even did a "repair" for both VisualStudio and Office 2013. What I don't get about this entire thing is that the DLL defining _IDTExtensibility2 is no longer part of Office (I still have it on my disk) as it's mainly applicable for VB6 solutions that dynamically link to it. I would like to build a as-far-as-possible self-contained DLL with native code, but have no idea how to extend this interface...
    • Proposed as answer by Franck V Friday, May 22, 2015 4:32 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 8:31 AM
  • I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problem, running on Visual Studio 2013 Pro Update 4
    Friday, May 22, 2015 4:34 PM
  • Are you running Office 2013?  You may want to take a look at this article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954.aspx

Specifically, under the OSF heading.

A workaround could be creating the solution on a machine running Office 2010 and the moving the project after it's been created.

Please let me know if that helps,

Dave

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:12 PM
  • Dave,

I'm a bit confused by the information referred to above under the OSF heading.  I am developing for Office 2013 (MSI installed) using VS2013 and in my unmanaged C++ add-in the _IDTExtensibility2 interface is provided by the MSADDNDR.DLL which is resident in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\DESIGNER\ folder.  This machine does not have VB6 installed on it.  If this DLL was not available what would provide the _IDTExtensibility2 interface?

What am I missing here?  Thanks.

Friday, May 22, 2015 7:28 PM
  • There is some problem with the ATL wizard in VS2013. You have to do it manually. VS2012 works correctly, so i have seen what is it doing and did just the same in VS2013. In stdafx.h, put #import "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Designer\MSADDNDR.DLL" raw_interfaces_only, raw_native_types, no_namespace, named_guids, auto_search. After that go to Connect.h and make CConnect class inherit from _IDTExtensibility2 interface. Like this:
    class ATL_NO_VTABLE CConnect :
        public CComObjectRootEx<CComSingleThreadModel>,
        public CComCoClass<CConnect, &CLSID_Connect>,
        public IDispatchImpl<IConnect, &IID_IConnect, &LIBID_DrSalesOlkLib, /*wMajor =*/ 1, /*wMinor =*/ 0>,
        public IDispatchImpl<_IDTExtensibility2, &__uuidof(_IDTExtensibility2), &LIBID_AddInDesignerObjects, /* wMajor = */ 1>

BEGIN_COM_MAP(CConnect)
        COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IConnect)
        COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY2(IDispatch, _IDTExtensibility2)
        COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(_IDTExtensibility2)
    END_COM_MAP()

// _IDTExtensibility2 Methods
    public:
        STDMETHOD(OnConnection)(LPDISPATCH Application, ext_ConnectMode ConnectMode, LPDISPATCH AddInInst, SAFEARRAY * * custom)
        {
            return E_NOTIMPL;
        }
        STDMETHOD(OnDisconnection)(ext_DisconnectMode RemoveMode, SAFEARRAY * * custom)
        {
            return E_NOTIMPL;
        }
        STDMETHOD(OnAddInsUpdate)(SAFEARRAY * * custom)
        {
            return E_NOTIMPL;
        }
        STDMETHOD(OnStartupComplete)(SAFEARRAY * * custom)
        {
            return E_NOTIMPL;
        }
        STDMETHOD(OnBeginShutdown)(SAFEARRAY * * custom)
        {
            return E_NOTIMPL;
        }

And that's it.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:12 PM